Standardish Lambretta Set Ups

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Lamaddict

I've mentioned how nice my standard Tv175 is but I've just rebuilt a standardish Li150 upgraded with 175 piston etc and it's goes very well. Same with an original DL200, it certainly zipped along.
After nearly 35 years of messing about on scoots and botching things, I can now build an engine quite well thanks to the Sausage videos, Sticky's books and Barrie's stuff in Scootering etc. Also better parts, if you really need to change the original ones.
So, I was just saying and wondering if anyone else has gone back to close to standard scoots. IMO they are a breath of fresh air.
After all, the extra MPH just doesn't seem worth it and a lot of people on rides don't go that fast anyway.
fluff34567

Lamaddict wrote:I've mentioned how nice my standard Tv175 is but I've just rebuilt a standardish Li150 upgraded with 175 piston etc and it's goes very well. Same with an original DL200, it certainly zipped along.
After nearly 35 years of messing about on scoots and botching things, I can now build an engine quite well thanks to the Sausage videos, Sticky's books and Barrie's stuff in Scootering etc. Also better parts, if you really need to change the original ones.
So, I was just saying and wondering if anyone else has gone back to close to standard scoots. IMO they are a breath of fresh air.
After all, the extra MPH just doesn't seem worth it and a lot of people on rides don't go that fast anyway.
I'm restoring a tv175 as original and it will be staying that way.
Sach
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I've got a standard jet 200 all bar Varitronic and AF clubman. I really like the way it rides but the previous owner did spend some time getting the Varitronic setup spot on. It tops out at just over 65mph but pulls really well. Plenty of grunt to it,pulls top gear from very low revs and like the fact it's iron barrel still as I'm more into reliability nowadays.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Innocenti knew a thing or two. I do run kitted engines, but never deviate too far from the standard. What I like about standard'ish scooters is that they just run so well. I suppose it's horses for courses and all, but highly tuned scooters have never been for me. They seem too much like hard work. :D
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

I can understand why people want tuned engines, but in reality if they ride with mates or in a group they don't ride at more than 45/55mph...😀
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

I have gone back to standard on my 150 special and although it's not as quick as it was with the mugello kit, clubman and 25mm dellorto it's quiet, does miles to gallon and a pleasure to ride.
Shipleystevep
Main scooter: Lambretta

My recently restored GP 125 is as close to original as I could get it (without being overly anoraky)
Original barrel and piston and exhaust. It sounds and rides great. I've got 2 other kitted scooters but for local riding with mates the GP is my choice
Martin20
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 Special

Tractorman wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:56 am I have gone back to standard on my 150 special and although it's not as quick as it was with the mugello kit, clubman and 25mm dellorto it's quiet, does miles to gallon and a pleasure to ride.
Hi Tractorman. Are you running with a standard 18mm, carb, and standard exhaust? Got an 18mm on mine, and wondering if I should change to a 20 or 22mm, just to give a little bit more top speed!
Lamaddict

I've just read the results from the Scootering test on the standard exhaust and it showed how good they were, in fact beating every other exhaust on the lower rev range. They seem like the perfect pipe designed by Innocenti for up to 5k RPM and who needs that much more for general zipping about that a lot of people do.
I'm working on a TV175 barrel with a Suzuki piston, RD400 115mm rod, Profiled head, 20mm Dellorto, standard exhaust and 18x57 Pacemaker gearbox. Sounds like a mishmash of parts but it's still close to standard performance but with better parts.
scooterslag

Lamaddict wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:33 pm I've just read the results from the Scootering test on the standard exhaust and it showed how good they were, in fact beating every other exhaust on the lower rev range. They seem like the perfect pipe designed by Innocenti for up to 5k RPM and who needs that much more for general zipping about that a lot of people do.
I'm working on a TV175 barrel with a Suzuki piston, RD400 115mm rod, Profiled head, 20mm Dellorto, standard exhaust and 18x57 Pacemaker gearbox. Sounds like a mishmash of parts but it's still close to standard performance but with better parts.
Funny I was considering doing something very similar with my Suzuki 190 kit except maybe running a 22mm but still with the standard exhaust . Was hoping for something similar to the Casa 186 kit i.e not loads of top end but plenty of rideable torque, tractability with the standard exhaust and hopefully good fuel economy. The Casa kit does appeal but the price is a bit steep for my pocket and being a nicosil barrel - comes with all the hassle and cost if you shag your topend. I'm happier with cast ;)
The mack daddy on the left!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information