photobucket freezing accounts

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Nerdy Norm
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 S3

Minority wrote:Interesting, just checked and my pics are are still up, wonder why?
So are mine. I understand that's it to do with the percentage of your photos which are hotlinked to other sites. If like me, it's only a few (maybe 10% in my case), they don't seem to have enforced the new rules (yet). It looks like they've gone after the low-hanging fruit of accounts where the majority of pics are hotlinked externally.

Incidentally, I haven't read anywhere that they are about to delete all those pics from their site, so I don't understand why I've seen people advising others to quickly download their pics while they still can. However, I agree it's a right PITA that they've done this - the site was already virtually unusable, with so many popups and popunders that it made you feel like you were on a dodgy Russian download site.

It's unreasonable to expect everyone to upload their forum pics to a new host, then relink all their posts, so I'm afraid that many valuable resources are gone for good :(

Thankfully I don't have anything on there that isn't already backed up to other sites, but if it was my only means of photo storage, I think I'd be slowly and methodically (no rush needed) downloading all my pics to a local drive. I can't see this situation ending in any way other than tears.
Lambretta LI125 Series 2, Lambretta LI150 Series 3, Lambretta J100 Cento, LML Star 150 2T
GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

I got 2 mails today from photobucket informing me of the changes to my account.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

yes ive got an email today, ive edited my threads on lcgb forum but i cant do it on here as i dont seem to have an edit button, ive contacted dan and admin but no reply
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

You haven't been able to edit posts, other than for a couple of mins after pelting them, since the takeover.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Nerdy Norm
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 S3

UPDATE:

They've removed my hotlinks now, and I only have a tiny percentage of my Photobucket pics hotlinked. So it seems that they're doing it across the board, not just for those with a lot of linked pics.
Lambretta LI125 Series 2, Lambretta LI150 Series 3, Lambretta J100 Cento, LML Star 150 2T
GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

If board admins allow editing I'd be happy to go back and edit links, but at the moment it's not possible.

It's such a shame, there'll be a huge history of threads that won't get updated and lose their value without pictures.

holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

GeorgeS wrote:If board admins allow editing I'd be happy to go back and edit links, but at the moment it's not possible.

It's such a shame, there'll be a huge history of threads that won't get updated and lose their value without pictures.

i agree with that, once the pics have gone, a lot of threads might just as well be deleted as they wont make much sense, as they say a picture is worth a thousand words, i think the forum will suffer as a result of photobuckets blackmailing tactics, if we had an edit facility then i would update mine as i have on lcgb forum.
RManson
Main scooter: Jet 200

Yup, all my images on the Rotax build are gone. Guess that puts a bow on it, don't it!?
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Finally got round to me too - what a shower of shits. I'll be downloading my pics and deleting my account.

Such a shame that so much good content has been rendered contextless.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

holty wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:41 am is it possible to edit my threads and replace the photos, never done it before?
NOTE!! Forum now updated, so all threads can be edited!

Feel free to update all your links and images accordingly...
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information