Ratcheting Open end spanners

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
nellyboyo
Main scooter: Lambretta

I recently fitted a PM pipe which must have been one of the most god-awkward U-bends i have ever tried to bolt up .
Can anyone recommend a good 11mm open end ratchet spanner that fits in practice ??
I don`t want to struggle like that again :x
joespeed

no but i have a metric mover! i have never seen an open ended ratchet spanner, how can it it work?
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

I know what you mean they can be really awkward, I've got a Britool 7/16 ring spanner that gets me out of the poo every time when the teng 11mm won't get anywhere near.
I doubt you will get anywhere near with a ratchet spanner...
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

Why don't you fella's consider getting the extended brass exhaust nuts great piece of kit.

Have a look on the Andy Francis website. I'm sure they will be available from other dealers also.

Good luck.
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

joespeed wrote:no but i have a metric mover! i have never seen an open ended ratchet spanner, how can it it work?
I have a 1/2ins snapon one I have had for years, Joe. They don't actually ratchet like a ratcheting ring spanner, part of the jaw is cut away so you only have to pull the spanner a short way off the nut to turn it to the next position. Despite the fact part of the jaw is cut away they grip very well. If I can find it I'll post a photo.
joespeed

but it is not a ratchet open ender it is just like a gland nut spanner/brake pipe spanner!
joespeed

i do have a few brass exhaust long nuts with a ten mm spanner head left!
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

You're struggling with the nut on the flywheel side aren't you ? Same as ScootRS, no room to get a ring spanner in ! I have tried everything over the years including an 11mm double ended flexible brake line spanner. That didn't work.
I now have 4 good open enders in the toolbox and the ends are all at slightly different angles and 2 of them have had the ends cut down. These "precious" tools are kept together and have identifying tape on them. 1/8 turn at a time !!! And loctite.
There's no other way due to the design of the downpipe.
nellyboyo
Main scooter: Lambretta

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Ratche ... ReSCFo8DCA

This was the type of spanner i was on about. You can`t get the extended nuts on a PM pipe . Its way too tight .
I usually wire lock the nuts . The only way on this pipe would be to drill through both in situ....nightmare :x

Yes Chris , I was considering heating and bending one of my open ends to improve it a bit
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

nellyboyo wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Ratche ... ReSCFo8DCA

This was the type of spanner i was on about. You can`t get the extended nuts on a PM pipe . Its way too tight .
I usually wire lock the nuts . The only way on this pipe would be to drill through both in situ....nightmare :x

Yes Chris , I was considering heating and bending one of my open ends to improve it a bit
That's not like the one I have but then I did buy it in the 70's when spanner technology was not so good. :!:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information