Age Related Plate and Roadtax

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
immylam

I have an imported Indian GP and it has an N Registration plate. It is first registered as 2012. I went online to tax it and it still shows as having to pay roadtax. There is no online option for age exempt. Anyone know what the rules are with regards to an age related plate and if mine is showing a 74 plate does that mean it is exempt? As it is indian I'm not sure if there is a clear way of dating the frame number or if this would have already been done when getting the age related plate ( it was registered when I got it but I have paperwork for registering but it doesn't state a manufactured year just the plate details given to the scooter).
dave411
Main scooter: Li 125

immylam wrote:I have an imported Indian GP and it has an N Registration plate. It is first registered as 2012. I went online to tax it and it still shows as having to pay roadtax. There is no online option for age exempt. Anyone know what the rules are with regards to an age related plate and if mine is showing a 74 plate does that mean it is exempt? As it is indian I'm not sure if there is a clear way of dating the frame number or if this would have already been done when getting the age related plate ( it was registered when I got it but I have paperwork for registering but it doesn't state a manufactured year just the plate details given to the scooter).
You still need to "tax" it,but you should find that there is no fee to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

don't you have to apply for change of tax status? I think, and I may be wrong, that you can do it at a Post Office.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
dave411

Anything registered before 7 Jan 1977 is tax exempt
dave411

What's on the log book regarding date of manufacture?
immylam

Nothing on log book stating year of manufacture , as an import it just has a first registered date of 2012. I don't know if it could have been say a 1987 frame but given an older plate when registered as I know you can make vehicles older but not newer but again when getting a plate I don't know if it would have had a LCGB letter giving it an age that would roughly been in line with the N reg (1974) plate it has been issued with.
dave411

Think you will have to speak with the delay.Good luck with that
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

I thought tax exempt was from the date first registered, not manufactured ? Basically a scooter frame with numbers could be manufactured and not get put on the road for several years, hence the exempt case being "from first registered date".

I suppose if you could prove when it had been first registered abroad you may have a case.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

mick1 wrote:I thought tax exempt was from the date first registered, not manufactured ? Basically a scooter frame with numbers could be manufactured and not get put on the road for several years, hence the exempt case being "from first registered date".

I suppose if you could prove when it had been first registered abroad you may have a case.
my TV was "First Registered" in 2003 but was confirmed a 1962 on the dating cert- it had Free Road Tax

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
chippy

I always believed it was year of manufacture not first registered. Even if it wasn't registered for 10 years it doesn't change the year of manufacture. That's why your 2001 Indian GP frame built as an Italian 1969 GP with a H plate would still be a 2001 Indian GP and need taxing
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information