Mb rear bearings

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

holty wrote:af rayspeed are working on a new type rear bearing, it a double bearing so much stronger
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but as a rule of thumb, three bearings on one shaft is a no-no. It's close to impossible to align them perfectly and if the shaft that they all sit on is short and/or stiff then it can apply enormous side loads on the bearings; particularly the middle one.

I've seen seriously strong bearing housings crack due to this.
Norrie Bodge
Main scooter: GP-1971-Ts230/S2-1960-Ts230

I'm in on this with my S2 & shite rear bearings !!

500+ Steady miles fresh new casings & all new components, just ran it in & AF rear bearing was knocking?

Rebuilt, all gearbox bearings replaced & shimmed etc.. this time with MRB rear bearing fitted!
did C2C approx 400 mile trip, rear hub went loose getting home just on outskirts of town?
Replaced for one of Scootopia's S2 ones with matching cone only to find the rear bearing knocking too?
FFS what foookin kak are they selling us?
fluff34567

I went for the jockeys option so can choose the bearing I put in and it also saves the casing being stressed if I have to pull the bearing in and out.

It's about the same price and allows far more options.
ming

ming wrote:I'm currently working on a mate's engine which I originally built 3 years ago with an MB rear hub bearing. Not long after that he complained that he was losing gearbox oil, although intermittently. I started suspecting a bad drive side seal, but upon hearing him also complain of a non-functioning rear brake, we took the hub off and noticed the brake shoes completely soiled with oil. I figured we'd found the culprit--a failed rear hub seal, but upon removal discovered the bearing had lost both its plastic cage and half of the balls. There were bits of plastic all over the xmas tree gear cluster. This, after barely 3 years and 3000 miles. Motto: plastic does not belong in a bearing, let alone such a critical one as the rear hub. Never again. I shudder to think how close he came to disaster and injury. This is why it pays to change the gear oil frequently and always look carefully for any bits that come out....

(Which reminds me, I need a new chain for my DL, because guess what bits fell out when I changed the oil....)

Got in touch with Mark and he's sending a new bearing with a metal cage. Good on him.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

hendy wrote:
holty wrote:af rayspeed are working on a new type rear bearing, it a double bearing so much stronger
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but as a rule of thumb, three bearings on one shaft is a no-no. It's close to impossible to align them perfectly and if the shaft that they all sit on is short and/or stiff then it can apply enormous side loads on the bearings; particularly the middle one.

I've seen seriously strong bearing housings crack due to this.
many years ago i used to be into classic minis, and i had a well tuned engine in my last one, and it kept breaking gearboxes, it would crack the housing that held the main shaft, that was a doublebearing, it has one cage on the out side but two sets of balls and races on the inside, so was one bearing but twice as strong, i think its the same design that rayspeed are develpoing at the moment.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

That's sounds promising hotly and if we no Ray and Ben it's probably being tested as we speak

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

holty wrote: many years ago i used to be into classic minis, and i had a well tuned engine in my last one, and it kept breaking gearboxes, it would crack the housing that held the main shaft, that was a doublebearing, it has one cage on the out side but two sets of balls and races on the inside, so was one bearing but twice as strong, i think its the same design that rayspeed are develpoing at the moment.
Oh right. That's a very different scenario to what I was talking about. As it is essentially a pair of self-aligning bearings.
fluff34567

Picked up my order from jockeys this morning. Some closer pics of their drive bearing solution. I don't have circlip pliers with me to see the full bearing number though.

The washers are spacers and the felt thing goes on the outer face .. not sure why though.ImageImageImage
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

That looks good fluff do you no who is making the actual bearing I think I heard of this last year first picture though thanks

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
Strummer10
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Special 225

Garry.......off topic but

1/ What exhaust you running ?

AND

2/ What jetting in the 30 mm VHSH carb ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information