Engine Case Cleaning

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Just thought I'd share. Ok I'm a blaster by trade and to be fair get fed up of constantly seeing stuff that's been done wrong or blasted badly or with the wrong media.
At the end of the day Mr Innocenti never sent cases out that had been blasted so with this in mind instead of blasting my latest build, a series 2 that is going to look original but with a BGM 195 kit fitted I came up with the bright idea of using oven cleaner (the aresol kind).
Well it works bloody brilliantly, it shifts all the grease, oil, baked on crud in fact it looks almost like new again!
I'll try and get some pictures up later.
warts
Main scooter: honda

As will a dishwasher.
fluff34567

Noooo. Dishwasher dulls the casing !
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Just thought I'd share as it works well and might be of interest to someone struggling to clean their case.
sparklymarkly
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I'll second the spray on oven cleaner.
Used it to clean up the casing on the 63 Li I've been doing & it worked really well.
Suede Ed
Main scooter: SIL GP200

I had one soda blasted, looks good to me
fluff34567

This one was aqua blasted with 800 grit aluminium oxide and then aqua blasted with ceramic bead to give a shine.

I have tried oven cleaner in the past and it works well but be sure to give it a goid rinse with cold water.. warm will cause it to dull.
dave411
Main scooter: Li 125

fluff34567 wrote:This one was aqua blasted with 800 grit aluminium oxide and then aqua blasted with ceramic bead to give a shine.

I have tried oven cleaner in the past and it works well but be sure to give it a goid rinse with cold water.. warm will cause it to dull.
Thats nice.Like it with a shine on,but not polished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

I had mine aqua blasted, came up lovely. Not the cheapest and you need to make sure you clean any beads left afterwards but was really pleased with the result. Not something you can do yourself at home though.
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I had a couple of Italian casings vapour blasted [ground glass I believe?] and they came out very nice, sort of mat finish but had a couple of Indian ones done and they now look worst, the blaster said it's down to the poor alloy that the Indian casings are made of. I'll have to build up the side casing gasket area with JB weld in certain places, then I'll get them powder coated.

MB are now doing tumble [vibratory] finish service, cases are ultra sonic cleaned then tumbled in a large vat of small ball bearings, best finish I've seen, apart from Rimini's acid dip. No idea of price though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information