Spare part storage

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Snails

Hi

I've got a spare engine. Partly disassembled. One day I intend to rebuild it and keep it as a spare but as this sort of thing takes me years I think it would be best if I strip it down and store the useful parts. As the crank (which was destined for the bin) is rusty already with it being left lying around how best to I store the remaining engine internals so that they dont rust. My garage does not seem like the most moisture free of locations.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Big plastic storage box from ikea or somewhere. Take engine to bits. Put in box.

Every time you change oil in your car, scooter, motorbike etc, just dump it in the box.

Hoy anything in. Even brake fluid.

If you don't like that, put in red diesel which will help with the inevitable unsiezing that you'll have to do. That's where my spare stuff is.
Snails

Don't you find it a bit messy when you're looking for parts? Having to fish for the bit you want in a sea of used oil?
fluff34567

I have a plastic tub and lots of large zip loc bags with a bit of oil.in each. But TBH if it's just engine bits then as above a plastic tub and the cheapest oil you can buy. Parts in and then pour enough to cover the parts.. you won't need much. But I would use new oil.
hendy

Snails wrote:Don't you find it a bit messy when you're looking for parts? Having to fish for the bit you want in a sea of used oil?
It's effing 'orrible but our lass loves the smell of stale oil on me, so much so that it gets her all hot under the collar. Try it; your wife will find you irresistible. Honest.
shamrockexpress

hendy wrote:
Snails wrote:Don't you find it a bit messy when you're looking for parts? Having to fish for the bit you want in a sea of used oil?
It's effing 'orrible but our lass loves the smell of stale oil on me, so much so that it gets her all hot under the collar. Try it; your wife will find you irresistible. Honest.
I read this when i was drunk and sounded a good idea................now my wife isn't speaking to me again :( :( :oops:
hendy

shamrockexpress wrote:
I read this when i was drunk and sounded a good idea................now my wife isn't speaking to me again :( :( :oops:
She's obviously having an affair.
Muttley McLadd

Snails wrote:how best to I store the remaining engine internals so that they dont rust. My garage does not seem like the most moisture free of locations.
In the house, somewhere warm and dry..?
CakeAndArseParty
225worb
Main scooter: Vespa 225, Falc , 230 S2

I find under me pillow is pretty safe, warm, and keeps a bit of a sheen and wont be lost!!!
Snails

Thanks for the advice. I'll take some of it on board. I think the zip lock bags is a good idea....not so sure about the smell of oil on the GF or storing under my pillow....:)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information