Dirty leather!

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
jaffa1
Main scooter: series 1 framebreather

Hi I've just dug out my leathers after a bit of time in storage and they're looking bloody filthy to be honest! Can anyone recommend a decent cleaning product? Do dry cleaners do stuff like like bike leathers? that might be a good option.
fluff34567

Get a leather cleaner from the bike shop.. quite often it's combined with a moisturiser if not I always use a separate leather feed.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

I once rolled my leathers up at the end of the season and stuffed them in my kit bag, then forgot about them until the start of the following season. Oddly the last meeting was hot despite being October in east fortune.

When I was getting ready for the first meeting in the following march the sweaty leathers I'd rolled up were covered in mould. A set of dainese that cost me £800!

I took them to a dry cleaner who quoted me £110 to clean them! The lass who worked there took pity on me (I was better looking back then) and told me what they did.

Hang them up in the garage and fill them with fabreze! It worked a treat. They were clean as a whistle after about 3 days. I just spent about a fiver on nikwax and gave them a wipe down.
ForemanBob
Main scooter: GP RT230

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182454918052? ... EBIDX%3AIT

can get them in smaller packs than this but do a great job at cleaning and conditioning.....
jaffa1
Main scooter: series 1 framebreather

cheers guys, Frebreeze on the inside and I will order and use some wipes on the outside. Many thanks!

P.S. £110, bloody hell!!!!
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

I've found the smell of a mouldy jacket is difficult to get rid off, so I've put mine under the shower and given it a good wash with some washing liquid (This was Frank Thomas jacket rather than full leathers). I reasoned it was about the same as getting caught in a good downpour.

Apparently it is possible to machine wash a jacket:
https://editbydesign.com/2012/09/06/how ... er-jacket/

http://helloblackbird.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... peter.html

Not taking any responsibility if you decide to do it though!
fluff34567

A wipe down with white vinegar and then a good airing works very well.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information