Sat nav

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
ducksta

Hi guys off on road trip in Europe later this year just need a good cheap sat nav I can mount on the scoot anybody use out worth buying.

Cheers
live life your a long time dead
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

There were a batch of Garmin motorcycle satnav at Aldi last year are a good price, but they have all gone now. I quite like the Garmin unit and used it to get to Get Outta Dodge in Ireland last year. It saved a lot of time.

Too many motorcycle satnav are too expensive and many on here use car satnav or mobile phones in specifically designed waterproof cases and seem very happy with the result.

My biggest tip would be to think hard about where you mount it. Just above the speedo is ideal, but difficult to achieve on most classic scooters. Myself and others have mounted them too low behind the legshield, but you have to take your eyes off the road for too long when looking at the screen, and after a long days riding, it can really hurt your neck to look down (or am I getting old?)
Martin
ducksta

Cheers for advice I have a Px SULK headset top fairing so it will sit above the speedo will use a car one need it to detach easy for when it's parked up.
thackers

Tomtom have one out called a Vio. I think it comes with a handle bar mount which makes it fit like a mirror. I also understand it's scooter specific . Try Halfords £127
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

I use one on the iphone, cost about £7? Mounted to the hydraulic reservoir

Imagepiazza-24 by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Skobbler by Scout is what you'd need to search for, i assume its available for android. And the holder for the phone just slips right off, just as easy as a dedicated satnav.
Donnie.
jonashford
Main scooter: Lambretta SX RB235

I've tried a lot of holders cases and different sat navs. The Garmin zumo is worth paying the extra for. Great cradle with plenty of mounts, solid when fixed and comes with a head wire loom for a battery as well as a std charger cable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ducksta

Cheers guys something to think about
mark-b
Main scooter: SIL GP190

Donnie wrote:I use one on the iphone, cost about £7? Mounted to the hydraulic reservoir

Imagepiazza-24 by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Skobbler by Scout is what you'd need to search for, i assume its available for android. And the holder for the phone just slips right off, just as easy as a dedicated satnav.
Donnie, like the idea of mounting on the reservoir. How waterproof is the case and how easy is the screen to use through the plastic?

Cheers, Mark
GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

As technology rolls on you'd think we'll all just end up using our phones for navigation. In the car I use 'Waze' which I find very good, and google maps is also a good alternative. Both have traffic updates & Waze will often warn you of Old Bill up ahead (community updates). I think both are world-wide and allow downloading of journey data to reduce data costs when on the move.

As an extension to this you'd think it should be possible to use something like Arduino to develop a fag packet sized box that can connect to your phone via bluetooth that (via sensors) could report temps (CHT & EGT) and revs. This could, I guess, also be optionally extended with 3G & GPS modules to add some kind of alarm option (phone/texts you if in motion & reports location). It would need to be low-ish value box, as you've already spent the money on the phone that does all the expensive stuff. The box would be fixed somewhere in your toolbox.

Something I'd love to work on but it's just finding the time to do it.
ducksta

Only prob using phone is battery life etc as the first leg is 200 + miles and my eyes ain't the best these days so prefer a big screen
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information