When POR15 goes wrong.............

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
DaveTomo
Main scooter: SX 200

Have recently had a mid range tank powder coated, decided I'd seal the tank as well with POR15.Anyway didn't go to plan, whatever I did it went t*ts up.The sealant was coming off after it had dried for 5 days in a film, but the main thing is there's a lump of the stuff left in the tank.I'm not blaming the POR15 as I have done about 3 tanks and various oil cans (the Castrol type) over the years all been spot on.Obviously something I have done or it didn't cure right and when I thought I'd got all the excess tank sealer out and left it to dry - I hadn't hence it pooled and now I'm left with a lump of the stuff clanging around in the tank.
Anyway things I've tried so far (I'm resigned to the fact I'll have to get the tank re-powder coated) caustic soda - removed all the film but not the lump.I've tried breaking it up with a large screw driver its solid no joy! I have been in touch with POR15 they recommend aircraft stripper - had a look at the prices of the stuff on the interwebs would be cheaper to get a new tank.Have also tried the handful of nuts and bolts and shaking the tank around.

Any suggestions? I know "normal" paint stripper ain't going to do it as the main ingredient methylene chloride has been taken out over here (hence why Nitromors doesn't burn your hand anymore :twisted: ).
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

cut weld or dipped
C’est la vie
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Is it visible? You might be able to dislodge it with a rod and a gentle tap of the hammer.
DaveTomo

Not really that visible inside - seems to be a fair size lump.I have tried breaking it up with a large screwdriver, but concious of damaging the tank.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Tankcareproducts do a petseal remover. This will get it off in chunks. It still requires quite a bit of elbow grease to get it out of the neck of the tank but it works.
mr mugello

I used the heavy duty paint stripper still available bought from car paint supplier to remove some old pet seal. £30 a gallon. Final Systems brand sold as professional use only, nasty stuff not to be breathed in . Used about a 2 litres on my standard tank, sloshed around and left overnight. After my experience, I would just buy a new tank next time with the time, aggravation and cost involved.
DaveTomo

Just to close the thread off - tried a few more things all failed, found some old paint stripper in my shed left that in for a few days - didn't work.Even tried a hot knife and other various hair brained ideas.Anyway gave in to the inevitable in the end and took it to a welder.The results below, he cut it open, got the lump out & welded it back up.I told him where I'd like it to be cut which he did so it can't be seen when the tanks fitted .Job now done, have painted the patch with white hammerite, cleaned the tank out of any left over bits of sh*t with vinegar.Flushed it out, swilled a bit of 2 stroke mix around and now fitted.

storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Good to see you got it sorted okay. Having had similar problems twice, I am loathe to seal another tank unless there is a pinhole leak.

That said, the Petseal coating on my Rally tank is still all good three years later.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information