Silkolene pro kr2 oil

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
mr mugello

Anyone running their Lambretta with this oil without any issues ? Can it be used like most general scooter oils or it it something that needs running at constant high revs and also not sitting about in tank ? Thanks
gtwildcat
Main scooter: lambretta GT200

I've been running my scooters on it for a couple of years now , I don't want to jinx myself but no side effects that I can talk of. It's not a straight castor oil which is a right pain in the arse. I tried castor R30 which was a ballache but the silkolene seems fine.
KR2 mixes with petrol well and smells amazing. I run at 3%.
gtwildcat

It's also quite cheap if you shop around. What engine would you be running it in?
mr mugello

My engine is a mugello 225 . Been running fine on silkolene comp 2 plus race. Just heard mentions of how the castor oil from years ago used to be the thing , castrol r, but not good for long term use in engines.
gtwildcat

I tried castor R30 a few years ago , absolute nightmare, seperates from the petrol if left for a few days etc.
I've also tried castrol A747 synthetic and castor mix, great oil but very thick and hard to mix in tank, had to use a can to mix it up.
Silkolene KR2 mixes like normal synthetic oil in the tank and doesn't seperate , Easy to use and smells amazing. I started using it as Ian Frankland from Taffspeed recommended using a castor based oil with a tuned cast iron barrel. HE also said fully synthetic is best for alloy barrels. Stuart Owen always recommended Rock oil synthesis 2 premix 100% synthetic oil. That also smells great
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

As far as I can see,your paying a premium for the guy behind to get a nice smell from your exhaust.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silkolene-PRO ... 1049262354
gtwildcat

I use it as i got a few bottles cheap and it was reccomeded for a cast barrel, the smell is a bonus. When it runs out i will use Rock fully synthetic again if i cant get the KR2 at the right price.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

If you've got everything running right and jetted correctly why waste £16 a litre on fancy "boutique" oils? It just doesent make sense, when my stash of Silkolene Scoot 2 runs out its Rockoil Groundsman all the way for me...
mr mugello

Point taken. My Lambretta has been off the road for a few years. Now seen the one I was using comp 2 plus is about the same price £16. ouch ! Head and piston had only slight carbon build up, so was doing it's job ok. The rock fully syn was a popular one I remember from a few years ago. Will have to check the prices out. I'm a bit out of touch.
gtwildcat

Each to their own I guess, as I said, when I run out of the KR2 I will just use rock oil synthesis 2 fully synthetic pre mix. there's a motorbike shop in Shrewsbury that sells the injector rock fully synthetic for £10.50 if you're not bothered about it being premix. The rock oil is very popular around my way and also cheaper than silkolene semi synthetic oils.
Putoline classic scooter X fully synthetic is also a very well priced fully synthetic oil.
It's your choice though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information