piston rings

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Tosh

is there a certain way for piston rings to be fitted,my pin came out of the piston I"ve replaced it with another piston that I have in my spares bucket which has the pin in the middle of the groove for the rings but I don"t see any marks on the ring too say which way up or does it matter. Thank Paul
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Depends on what type of piston it is as rings vary from piston to piston. Some rings are wedge shaped and will only locate correctly in a certain way but you simply turn these over so that they fit the other way up. Others have ring ends that need to be a certain way in relation to the pegs. Others are rectangular/square in section and it doesn't matter which way that type is fitted.

All you need to ensure is that they fit fully, correctly into the groove when you fit them to the piston and close them up by hand. If then don't gently push flat with the top of the ring groove then suspect that something is wrong.

Best thing that you could do is post some photos on here so that people can see what you've got.

Best of luck.

Adam
Tosh

Thanks Adam,I would do but its that long since I did a photo I can`t remember how to do it (bloody computers) will check the rings tomorrow and how they sit in relation to the groves in the piston and will try to sort out a photo.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Some are 1mm wire rings and they fit either way up,but they usually have the size(64mm,66mm etc.) on them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information