eBay plating kits

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Has anyone had first hand experience of using the so called replica chrome, chrome stripping and zinc plating kits available on eBay? Cheers.
warts
Main scooter: honda

No, but there is a guy who goes to most big classic bike shows and sells from there. The kit I tried worked well for nickel, no experience with other stuff. The finish really depends on the quality of the surface - plating won't improve it. Great for all those small bits, no danger of them getting lost at the platers, and the few bits you forgot or had to modify. A pair of panels or engine case... hmmm.
I think he said it was not possible to ship some of the chemicals? It was a while ago now. Maybe courier services are not so fussy these days.
Scooterdude

Yes my thinking about some of the smaller bits getting lost, after all people just don't give a s**t any more. Can't decide weather I need nickel or zinc for all those brake and gear levers and adjusters though.
Spanish Fly
Main scooter: P200e

"Bad ass" zinc plating at home, see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy6u2kikAA4

SF
Scooterdude

Well that turned out to be a complete load of bollox, went for the zinc kit in the end to deal with all the nuts bolts btackets arms and levers etc etc, apart from being told the kit contained "everything I need" the first thing I read on the instructions was I need a gallon of distilled water?? Then after reading up further I needed a fish tank bubbler to agitate the mix, the whole process seemed very hit and miss and needing a Dc supply of between 1.8 and 2.5 v anything either side would result it poor results, anyway f@@k all that, sent it back for a refund and took the parts to a local plater in town for £40!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information