Sorry mate, I didn't see you.

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

Interesting feature about car drivers not seeing bikes and cyclists.
http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-pilo ... -cyclists/
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

If thats the case,why are there not many more reports of motorcyclists/cyclists pulling out of side roads into the path of an oncoming motorcyclist/cyclist.
coaster

HxPaul wrote:If thats the case,why are there not many more reports of motorcyclists/cyclists pulling out of side roads into the path of an oncoming motorcyclist/cyclist.
As it says in the article, smaller objects like bicycles and motorcycles are more likely to be missed when scanning the road at a junction. Personally I thought that was spot on, I have long held the view that car/lorry drivers aren't always to blame, well not entirely anyway. Best to get to know your enemy, anticipate what he is likely to do before he does it and ride accordingly. Same when driving, I no longer assume that vehicles approaching a round-about will give way to vehicles on the right so I am prepared to slow down to avoid a collision...doesn't stop me giving a blast on the horn to let them know what they did though :x
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I get all that.But as I see it,car drivers will use this reason as an "excuse".Motorcyclists and cyclists know that if they make a mistake it will at the very least hurt a lot and could be actually fatal.
jonzo172

I ride a motorcycle daily and cycle too. My main two observations of an increasing trend is the amount of people that I see on their phones texting is quite alarming also no-one indicates anymore. On a regular basis on the motorcycle I'll experience drivers at junctions that look, see you, but pull out anyway as they know you've got to stop. It is just a sign of the times we live in as people just don't give a feck about anyone else anymore. You have to be so careful and always expect the unexpected.
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

jonzo172 wrote:I ride a motorcycle daily and cycle too. My main two observations of an increasing trend is the amount of people that I see on their phones texting is quite alarming also no-one indicates anymore. On a regular basis on the motorcycle I'll experience drivers at junctions that look, see you, but pull out anyway as they know you've got to stop. It is just a sign of the times we live in as people just don't give a feck about anyone else anymore. You have to be so careful and always expect the unexpected.
Yes indeed "On a regular basis on the motorcycle I'll experience drivers at junctions that look, see you, but pull out anyway".

I regularly ride to work and this is something that is becoming more common.

As Coaster said you have to expect most drivers to act like c*nt5 because an awful lot of them will.
Did you have to do that?
immylam

'quite alarming also no-one indicates anymore. ' I remember on my first driving lesson the instructor telling me that a car indicating only guarantees one thing........that its indicators work.
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

I ride to work daily, not far but through the city centre which is where I find car drivers to be at their worst as they are in general frustrated with congestion and are always looking for the gaps to keep moving rather than smaller road users. I just assume that every car is out to kill me!

Just today alone I can give 3 situations where if I hadn't been alert it could have been nasty for me. The first I was filtering past stationary traffic approach traffic lights, the road the other way was clear, when all of a sudden a car just pulled out without indicating, missing me by inches, to drive on the wrong side of the road past about 8 or 9 cars in order to take a right turn. Then once through those lights the car in front pulled towards the kerb, I assumed it was to give me space to pass, but as I was passing it then started to move towards me, fortunately I had room to swerve but on looking over the driver was texting. Then the last one, on leaving the car park there are 2 lanes to turn left and right. I was in the left lane which had a clear exit and the right lane was clogged, as I was riding out a car in the right lane then just pulled into my lane to avoid the congestion, again no indication and no checking of mirrors. This is literally a daily challenge for me, cars just don't see you, despite wearing hi-vis and having lights on, they don't see you because they don't look.
nellyboyo
Main scooter: Lambretta

There`s an elderly driver out there with my name on I`m sure :o
Spanish Fly
Main scooter: P200e

nellyboyo wrote:There`s an elderly driver out there with my name on I`m sure :o
Won't be texting though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information