Sorry mate, I didn't see you.

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
jonzo172

Oh... the other one, and I must have a sensitive nose to it is the number of people smoking dope in cars too.
Having a spliff at 7am whilst driving to your days work seems to be the thing to do now whether it's a one man builder business or one car I followed turned into a local high school so can only assume it was a teacher at that time in the morning. Once he'd finished the spliff he then filled the car with bloody Linx or something I don't know what was worse the dope or his deodorant?
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

jonzo172 wrote:Oh... the other one, and I must have a sensitive nose to it is the number of people smoking dope in cars too.
Having a spliff at 7am whilst driving to your days work seems to be the thing to do now whether it's a one man builder business or one car I followed turned into a local high school so can only assume it was a teacher at that time in the morning. Once he'd finished the spliff he then filled the car with bloody Linx or something I don't know what was worse the dope or his deodorant?
I've noticed that over the past couple of years.

The texting thing is the worst though. I remember seeing one guy manoeuvring round a junction with a phone in one hand and a pasty in the other! Like Jonzo172, I ride ashort distance to work through a city. Today I was a bit later so the school I ride past was in full effect. What a nerve wracking ride - children running all over the place, cars parked randomly, one pulling out of a parking spot with no warning...a good reason to get up early!

It seems looking is quite low in some drivers priorities.
YAMLAM

It seems looking is quite low in some drivers priorities.

Why should they ,there safe in their Metal Bubble. fu%k you jack,im ok seems to be the attitude of many today.
win or lose have a booze
jonzo172

YAMLAM wrote: fu%k you jack,im ok seems to be the attitude of many today.
I'd say the majority unfortunately... sign of the times.
a.j

Burnside wrote:I ride to work daily, not far but through the city centre which is where I find car drivers to be at their worst as they are in general frustrated with congestion and are always looking for the gaps to keep moving rather than smaller road users. I just assume that every car is out to kill me!

Me too. I'm not an advocate of the saying ''sorry I didn't see you''. It should be ''sorry I wasn't looking properly''.

In the drivers defence, most bikes don't keep to anywhere near the speed limit & seeing them does make it difficult, especially in rush hour when drivers are looking for that elusive gap to get out onto a main road. Which is why I always wear Hi Viz & use loud pipes.
coaster

a.j wrote:
Burnside wrote:.....In the drivers defence, most bikes don't keep to anywhere near the speed limit & seeing them does make it difficult, especially in rush hour when drivers are looking for that elusive gap to get out onto a main road. Which is why I always wear Hi Viz & use loud pipes.
I commute most days between East London and Rochester in Kent so have the A13, Ms5 Dartford Crossing and the M2 to deal with. Usually I'm on the GTS and do a fair bit of filtering especially on the return journey on the approach to the Dartford Tunnels. I've been doing this particular commute for 2 years now and have had one or two instances of lane changes consisting of indicate and turn at the same time :roll: and I have been lucky that the driver has seen me at the last minute and pulled back in :o However, when I've been driving the car, I have also been almost guilty of the same thing although I do indicate before manoeuvring and I think I can see why. Next time you are in a situation where traffic is queuing in more than one lane, look in both your mirrors and see how far back you can actually see. As you will have notices when filtering, some cars stay to the right of their lane, some to the left any others somewhere between. When you check in your mirrors I reckon you will generally not have a clear line of site of any filtering bikes more than two or three cars behind which in slow moving traffic could been 30 or 40 feet. Trucks and busses add to the problem. In a bumper to bumper situation, the car driver will check his mirrors (hopefully) then glance back forwards to check the car in front hasn't braked and then he will make his move without checking again. In that space of time a hidden scooter or bike could cover that 30 to 40 feet with ease.

Anyway, it just adds to the things we should bare in mind everytime we get on two wheels, knowing you were in the right isn't much consolation when you're lying in the road waiting for an ambulance :(

My wife had a close encounter the other week whilst cycling over a pedestrian/cycle crossing near where we live. The lights had gone to red and a car stopped, the green crossing light came on and my wife pedalled onto the crossing and two pedestrians stepped onto the opposite side. At that point a car that had been behind the car that stopped, pulled out and drove across the crossing taking my Mrs with him. Luckily she saw him coming and swerved so that she only connected with his wing mirror but was knocked off the bike onto the road. He did stop and get out and proceeded to try to drag her to her feet despite her protests for him to get his feking hands off her. He apologised saying he was in a hurry :? When someone said they were calling the police he jumped in his car a drove off....we are still waiting to find out if the police have found the idiot.
Mr G in NYC
Main scooter: SX200

Echo all of the observations made by all above + I made a lane change to avoid a massive pothole
on 6th avenue a few weeks ago and an unmarked cop car pulled me over and gave me a reckless
driving ticket , even though I pointed out the said pot hole which was about 2 foot deep.
some days you just can't win ....... $60 fine better than a hospital bill for broken bones ....
I've been knocked off twice on my scooter in NY , one was bad and spent a few days in hospital .
In both incidents the cars drove off who hit me !! Crazy .... Its like the wild west here.
Now I ride super aggressive and with a loud pipe and everyone avoids me :-) G

coaster

Just remembered, the week before last heading from Euston towards High Holborn along Southampton Rd around 8pm on the GTS. There's a bus lane towards the Holborn end that is prohibited to motorcycles (I know as I've been caught in it twice :( ), so I'm avoiding it and riding in the correct lane when a Tesco home delivery van draws alongside me using the bus lane and proceeds to pull across into my lane as if I', not there :shock: I hit the horn with a log blast and gave him the w@nk3r sign....next thing I know he's pulled up next to me (still in the bus lane) and asks what the sign means..I enquired if he was dumb to which he replied "is you sayin I's a dickhead". I told him he was driving like an idiot and he told me it's a good job he couldn't say or do anything back "cause I's at work init". Good point I said, I'll take your number and report you. "Hey you do that, any idea how many people drive this van?"....Only one at 8pm I said....at that point he called me a c*nt and sped off!! Running through it in my head after, I think he thought that as I only had only 2 wheels he had a right to occupy my lane and that I should move over :? I didn't get his number but was thinking of phoning Tesco and making a complaint but then saw a Waitrose home delivery van and suddenly wasn't so sure the first one had been Tesco :oops:

I think it must be something in that location, that's the 3rd altercation I've had with car/van drivers in that area :roll:
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

It must have been the tesco van driver. A waitrose driver would have called you a bounder rather than a c**t.
ArmandTanzarian

Mr G in NYC wrote:Echo all of the observations made by all above + I made a lane change to avoid a massive pothole
on 6th avenue a few weeks ago and an unmarked cop car pulled me over and gave me a reckless
driving ticket , even though I pointed out the said pot hole which was about 2 foot deep.
some days you just can't win ....... $60 fine better than a hospital bill for broken bones ....
I've been knocked off twice on my scooter in NY , one was bad and spent a few days in hospital .
In both incidents the cars drove off who hit me !! Crazy .... Its like the wild west here.
Now I ride super aggressive and with a loud pipe and everyone avoids me :-) G

To be honest I can't see the point in owning any type of two wheeler in New York. If all filtering and lane splitting is banned then why bother? You get cold in the winter, hot in the summer, wet when it rains and injured if someone knocks you off. I'll take all of that in London because I can do a journey in ten minutes that would take an hour in a car.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information