No Modern Scoots on this Rally

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
ducksta

The c90 and 50 had a greater wheel size then Vespa/lambrettas I definatley read it some where
live life your a long time dead
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

To my mind a scooter has 10" wheels. Some of course have 8" wheels, but anything bigger is suspicious.

My girlfriend can't understand why I ride to scooter rallies rather than 'put it in the van and drive there'. I've explained that it's part of the challenge of the rally, and that we're not in America, but it still strikes her as odd.

There's always been modern scooters on rallies hasn't there? PX's, T5's, even GPs in the 70s, Servetas were still new in the 80s. If you get there on a scooter then you should be allowed in. Cars, vans and caravans are more contentious. Driving a car to a holiday park to stay in chalet at a scooter rally is starting to get a bit too removed for me. But a classic Vespa or Lambretta only rally is heading down a 'steam engine fair' path.

At a local rally I went to I met a couple from Yorkshire that had ridden 300 miles two up on a Vespa GTS, while classic scooterists from 50 miles away caught the train. You tell me who the scooterists are!
GFlint
Main scooter: Vespa PX200

I think if you have a rally that is classic only, (no problem), surly it would suffer from attendance figures compared with all inclusive ones. Its not like a classic car show because there are not so many makes and models to choose from to participate.

Isn't this just basically a nostalgia thing with opinions based on when the person entered the scene? PX's and T5's, once hated are now more desirable. People dont like change but they have to remember its not 'their scene from their time', its everybody's scene and will have to move with it or break away.

Don't worry, those youngsters zipping around on much faster, efficient and better braking scoots, enjoying themselves are just doing what you did back in the day. They still admire the older scoots, are in awe of them and would like one one day. Enjoy the attention at all inclusive rallies I say :)
Gary
Last edited by GFlint on Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't tinker, you won't learn anything, but you won't break anything either :)
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Forget about "classic or modern" scooters,if you hold a rally and dont want twist and go scooters,just hold the rally for "geared"scooters only,that way you can have modern Vespa's such as PX's.
coaster

Lamaddict wrote:.......Even on local ride outs they don't allow them, they see them as dangerous to other scoots as their brakes are very good etc.
I'm sorry but that has got to be the lamest thing I've heard for a while. I'd say the problem is riders of classic scoots not being used to riding them enough. If you are afraid of another scooter out braking you then how are you going to cope with a car with ABS dropping the anchor in front of you. Distance is the key ;) Well that and avoiding rideouts completely.
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

I'm a big fan of ride outs, but I didn't see much of the Isle of Wight compared to my pillion as I was focussed on the scoot in front - all I saw was the scoot in front!
paul d
Main scooter: T5 172 Tv 240

I don't have a modern scooter myself unless a 97 t5 is classed as modern but I don't have an issue with a classic only rally. I think it would be the death of the scene if too many rallies took a similar view though. I've alot of respect for people on scoots with L plates who are brave enough to make a journey to a scooter rally. This year I seen alot of them on et's, modena's and scomadi's. Often it's a son or daughter or wife/girlfriend who's accompanied by a classic scooter rider. Sometimes just a group from the same town. Good on 'em! A rally can be intimidating if it's your first...they should be welcomed.
Morgan
Main scooter: T5 Vespa Mk1

When you get to your destination, it's nice to talk about the trials, tribulations and discomforts that got you there. The difficulties involved and pride in doing so on a 50 year old shopping machine is what all "classic" scooterists have in common.

It's awkward having a pint with someone who has travelled on 300cc + on a comfort designed "scooter", hearing them say how easy it was on their automatic and they only use their "real" scooter for Sunday rideouts.

It's not about the "scooters" but the mind set of the people who have drove them there, and the automatics show a different mind set to the classics.
GFlint
Main scooter: Vespa PX200

[quote="Morgan" ]

Modern "scooters", giving an easy, trouble free ride isn't what "scootering" was about in the 70's and 80's and I think it's to the detriment of the scooter scene that so many of them attend, what was, traditional rallies.

Basically someone riding a modern scooter (with some exceptions) can't have the same ethos and understanding as someone riding a classic.

Good luck to the VCGB and LCGB, where most attending drive their classic scooters to their events and modern "scooters" are rarely seen.

Wouldn't worry me if I never saw another modern on a rally again.[/quote]

Hi Morgan,
I notice your main scoot is a T5 Mk1 (introduced 1985). I think that if you turned up to rallies in 85 on one then, there would be some that wolud echo your comments above but now its accepted because it could be 30 yes old (only just a classic).

Do you see what I mean by nostalgia, the GTS 300 might be classed as the best rally going scoot of its time in 20 yrs.

Would be good if everyone rolled with it and enjoyed the time spent at rallies IMHO :)
Gary
If you don't tinker, you won't learn anything, but you won't break anything either :)
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

Morgan wrote:When you get to your destination, it's nice to talk about the trials, tribulations and discomforts that got you there. The difficulties involved and pride in doing so on a 50 year old shopping machine is what all "classic" scooterists have in common.

It's awkward having a pint with someone who has travelled on 300cc + on a comfort designed "scooter", hearing them say how easy it was on their automatic and they only use their "real" scooter for Sunday rideouts.

It's not about the "scooters" but the mind set of the people who have drove them there, and the automatics show a different mind set to the classics.
Agreed, though its usually more awkward for them as I'll simply take the p155 out of them for taking the easy way out :D
Donnie.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information