No Modern Scoots on this Rally

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

even if theres no bargains, save up simple!
Donnie.
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

As long as they are additions to the calendar and not instead of all inclusive events then I really cannot see the issue. If they're not for you then don't go.
GFlint
Main scooter: Vespa PX200

OK, so maybe the wiresred have been crossed a little as its across the pond. I think this is more an emotive point in UK 'scooter' clubs who do not claim to be a 'classic' SC making those that turn up on a modern scoot unwelcome. If its classed as a classic scooter rally, no problem.

Mind you, define classic, for cars 25 years can obtain classic insurance, (some insurers as low as 10, apparently Its 40 for tax exemption (corrected). I mean, some die hards wouldn't say a PX was classic but it fall in the year bracket soon (1977). As for hydraulic brakes, didn't threy come in on the PX in 97, which would be 20 years next year.
Last edited by GFlint on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't tinker, you won't learn anything, but you won't break anything either :)
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

It's 40 years for tax exemption, currently any car or bike manufactured before 1st Jan 1976
GFlint
Main scooter: Vespa PX200

You are right Burnside, always used to think it had to be exempt tax to be a classic, but its only 25 years!

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... c-vehicles
If you don't tinker, you won't learn anything, but you won't break anything either :)
ducksta

No scomadi scooters then,
live life your a long time dead
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

No plastic scooters - does that mean no lambrettas with fibreglass panels?
ducksta

Reply to Morgan's question, I always thought a scooter was a step through bike with a wheel size no greater then 10 inch
live life your a long time dead
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

ducksta wrote:Reply to Morgan's question, I always thought a scooter was a step through bike with a wheel size no greater then 10 inch
Step through yes - I've never heard of any stipulation on wheel size though.
Did you have to do that?
Morgan
Main scooter: T5 Vespa Mk1

The Honda C90 or the "nifty 50" were step through but you never saw them on scooter rallies in the 70's and 80's.

The rallies were about Lambrettas and Vespas, and a few oddballs accepted with a wry smile (Heinkles, NSU's etc).

Modern "scooters", giving an easy, trouble free ride isn't what "scootering" was about in the 70's and 80's and I think it's to the detriment of the scooter scene that so many of them attend, what was, traditional rallies.

Basically someone riding a modern scooter (with some exceptions) can't have the same ethos and understanding as someone riding a classic.

Good luck to the VCGB and LCGB, where most attending drive their classic scooters to their events and modern "scooters" are rarely seen.

Wouldn't worry me if I never saw another modern on a rally again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information