Scomadi.

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

dave411 wrote:
10 inch Terror wrote:
dave411 wrote:I believe they are made in China.Need I say more.
I'd say most things we take for granted on a daily basis are made in China these days. I don't see a problem with this as long as there is a quality control system in place. Do you own a Scomadi and have had problems with it?
No,dont own one.But I have had plenty of expierence of Chinese Motors etc.They really are dreadful,and that's putting it mildly.
Ditto, chinese scooters are generally disposable!

Ive not ridden a scomadi, I don't want to but my experience of them seems mainly to be observing either people not able to start them, whining parts ie a fan on one that sounded like a bag of cats in a liquidiser, or one guy i know with one of the newer 200 ones that's dead and returned to repair after less than 80 miles?
Donnie.
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

dave411 wrote:
10 inch Terror wrote:
dave411 wrote:I believe they are made in China.Need I say more.
I'd say most things we take for granted on a daily basis are made in China these days. I don't see a problem with this as long as there is a quality control system in place. Do you own a Scomadi and have had problems with it?
No,dont own one.But I have had plenty of expierence of Chinese Motors etc.They really are dreadful,and that's putting it
mildly.
Are the motors not Aprilla? The SULK review discribed the motor as such, or am I missing something?
jonzo172

10 inch Terror wrote: Are the motors not Aprilla? The SULK review discribed the motor as such, or am I missing something?
No you're "bob on" Terror, the 200 motor is an Aprilia unit... suspect that still won't be good enough for some though ;)
10 inch Terror

jonzo172 wrote:
10 inch Terror wrote: Are the motors not Aprilla? The SULK review discribed the motor as such, or am I missing something?
No you're "bob on" Terror, the 200 motor is an Aprilia unit... suspect that still won't be good enough for some though ;)
My mate is over the moon with his. He was one of the 100 people who paid up front to get the ball rolling. He said his dealer ( Carnaby Scooters ) can't do enough for him. I really like the look of them if I'm honest. Ok they are not a lambretta per say but are a closer representation than any modern re pro out there. I don't get all the anti comments regarding them.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Most aren't anti for the sake of it. Their observations are based on genuine experience. Personally I've seen a Scomadi on which the headlight had dropped out. It looked as if it had previously been held in with sticky tape. Is that anti?
10 inch Terror

Doom Patrol wrote:Most aren't anti for the sake of it. Their observations are based on genuine experience. Personally I've seen a Scomadi on which the headlight had dropped out. It looked as if it had previously been held in with sticky tape. Is that anti?
Obviously not. It's the ' it's made in China ' or ' I'd rather buy a Honda Melody ' that are anti. I did ask for real world comments, good, or bad, so if someone owns one and isn't happy, then I want to hear about it. Just because someone doesn't like the look of something, or where it's made, it doesn't make it bad. That's just anti for the sake of it. I personally don't like choppers or cut downs, but I keep that to myself. You don't have to own one to have an opinion, but it has to be based on fact, surely? My mate did say his light packed up the 1st week, but has been fine since. Perhaps the headlight units are an issue?
Padge
Main scooter: 1969 Lambretta gp

John, it’s not a case of a mate of a mate’s friend etc. A very good friend of mine bought a brand new scomadi, (on mine and a mates say so) went to pick it up and the tyre was flat, they said they changed it only for it to be flat the next morning, he was told to take the wheel off, blow it up refit it, and take his scooter back to the shop....NOT exactly good customer services when all they had to do was drive 2 miles to pick it up in the van, after numerous other issues and the way he was dealt with, he sold the bike after 3 months and went back to a piaggio NRG, AND I don’t even have to mention another person (that we both know) that has had to pay 4 times for a blown engine to be rebuilt (eventually taking it somewhere else where he was given a list as long as your arm as to things that were wrong with the engine/engine build ....would you say that was a good buy/good customer services ?
I know you like the scomadi and I know you’re a very good friend of Paul Melici, but this is a discussion (be it first or second hand) of peoples thoughts/dealings with the scomadi, as I said earlier, I see the point/market he’s aiming at and actually think they could have a winning formula, but as people say, “it’s a damn sight easier to get a bad reputation than a good one” and after all the time, money and effort that they put into them you don’t want to throw it away with bad after sales/customer services.
Just my thoughts anyway.....
jonzo172

Padge wrote:John, it’s not a case of a mate of a mate’s friend etc. A very good friend of mine bought a brand new scomadi, (on mine and a mates say so) went to pick it up and the tyre was flat, they said they changed it only for it to be flat the next morning, he was told to take the wheel off, blow it up refit it, and take his scooter back to the shop....NOT exactly good customer services when all they had to do was drive 2 miles to pick it up in the van, after numerous other issues and the way he was dealt with, he sold the bike after 3 months and went back to a piaggio NRG, AND I don’t even have to mention another person (that we both know) that has had to pay 4 times for a blown engine to be rebuilt (eventually taking it somewhere else where he was given a list as long as your arm as to things that were wrong with the engine/engine build ....would you say that was a good buy/good customer services ?
I know you like the scomadi and I know you’re a very good friend of Paul Melici, but this is a discussion (be it first or second hand) of peoples thoughts/dealings with the scomadi, as I said earlier, I see the point/market he’s aiming at and actually think they could have a winning formula, but as people say, “it’s a damn sight easier to get a bad reputation than a good one” and after all the time, money and effort that they put into them you don’t want to throw it away with bad after sales/customer services.
Just my thoughts anyway.....
What I appreciate is the huge investment of time and money that I have seen both Frank and Paul make over a number of years in eventually bringing their product to market. Their product continues to develop and I am sure there have been problems along the way but I also know they are committed to developing it into the scooter they ultimately want it to be. I do take umbrage though with those that glibly attempt to rubbish a product they have no real experience of.
If you say these are your or your friends or your friends friends genuine experiences I would find it hard to defend them if they were true.
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

im getin t like the scomadi; a bigger 500cc version mite convince me :-)
C’est la vie
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

10 inch Terror wrote:
Doom Patrol wrote:Most aren't anti for the sake of it. Their observations are based on genuine experience. Personally I've seen a Scomadi on which the headlight had dropped out. It looked as if it had previously been held in with sticky tape. Is that anti?
Obviously not. It's the ' it's made in China ' or ' I'd rather buy a Honda Melody ' that are anti. I did ask for real world comments, good, or bad, so if someone owns one and isn't happy, then I want to hear about it. Just because someone doesn't like the look of something, or where it's made, it doesn't make it bad. That's just anti for the sake of it. I personally don't like choppers or cut downs, but I keep that to myself. You don't have to own one to have an opinion, but it has to be based on fact, surely? My mate did say his light packed up the 1st week, but has been fine since. Perhaps the headlight units are an issue?
You're gerneralising there to say the least, my experience of chinese scooters is over several years working with scooters and researching them when a rep came round to see if i wanted to stock them, they are shite, with a capital S, they may go a year, if you are lucky 2, then they're scrap.

My personal opinion other than that above is if you are buying one as it looks like a lambretta then buy a lambretta, if you want comfort in an auto then have the balls to buy an actual auto with some years of developement behind it, GTS 300 pisses all over the scomadi. Im not a fan, they are great for a to b, but anyone that mods them up or believes they are the same as a classic geared scooter? twats.
Donnie.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information