Red funnel

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
dennis
Main scooter: 1 gp 1 special

So how many of you had clutch problems after they made you ride up the ramp (lots of clutch work),my friends clutch glued the plates together and he had to be AA home,he had been riding round the IOW all w/e with no problems,my other friend all so had clutch problems after the ramp as well.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

Not Colin.... :o
dennis

yep colin and daz.
gaz_powell

I can't see that the short journey up the ramp would do anything to a healthy clutch.... surely a case of the straw that broke the camels back ?
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

gaz_powell wrote:I can't see that the short journey up the ramp would do anything to a healthy clutch.... surely a case of the straw that broke the camels back ?
Agreed. A ramp of 20 metres or so would not fry a clutch.
dennis

apparently the guy let every one go up the ramp at the same time which ment one mad rush and all stuck on the ramp couple even toppled when they stopped,the ramp was pretty steep and slippery metal.
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

So, everyone had a mad rush up the ramp and its the ramps fault?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Donnie.
dennis

Yeah, i see what you are getting at,but the guy who lets them on could at least let a few at a time,but hey this is getting pointless now with the smart arse replies lets just drop this post.
timexit17
Main scooter: GP 225 Extra S type

I agree actually Dennis, perhaps the bloke controlling it had had enough of people ignoring his directions?

It doesn't forgive what sounds like potentially a H&S nightmare waiting to happen however -as you rightly say that ramp can be slippery, 2 up and heavily loaded can be even worse.

One reason why we always use the Lymington-Yarmouth ferry rather than the Soton one nowadays.

The ride out is IMHO the worst clutch killer of all time, I wouldn't bother with it (apart form the cringe factor if sandwiched in by the fancy dress merchants) unless I was on an auto or something with a very robust clutch indeed -or right at the front!
I've even managed to partially fry a PX clutch there many years ago.
gaz_powell

I would agree that some control on the ramp should be exercised, I was on the ferry Friday at 1400hrs and Sunday at 0930.
Friday weather was good and it was just a case of scooters go and to some that like the green light at MotoGP. Same on Sunday but as it was wet it was a bit more civilised.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information