EXOL.............Again???????

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
ktmh5
Main scooter: GP225 Mugello

Finally got to strip down the GP's top end to see why it wouldn't start. Not used or started the GP since the Euro to Germany, simply cleaned it, changed the oil and spark plug. Got loaded up for Shipston and it wouldn't start, fired a couple of times but wouldn't rev, compression was down so went to Shipston on the S Type.
Anyway the jist of it was the rings were gummed in with oil, EXOL LUBETECH!!! Run this oil for a few years now without a problem apart from a bit smokey and just finishing a 25L drum off. There has been a lot of talk on forums about this problem and didn't really believe it until now. Sticky warned about this a couple of years ago. Beware, this has made me think again about this oil.

Rich'
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

I had this problem with exol oil. All I can say is I have not had the problem since changing the make of oil.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Is this the fully synth again, or semi?
whonatic

Like you I've finished off a couple of 25ltr drums, on 230cc / 225 engines, honestly no issues other than its a bit smokey ... Always used fully synth - interested in others views.
ktmh5

Doom Patrol wrote:Is this the fully synth again, or semi?
It was the fully synthetic. Just got the rings out and they were very worn and ready for changing.

Rich'
YAMLAM

It was the fully synthetic. Just got the rings out and they were very worn and ready for changing.

Rich'[/quote]

what sort of milage have the rings done ?
win or lose have a booze
ktmh5

YAMLAM wrote:It was the fully synthetic. Just got the rings out and they were very worn and ready for changing.

Rich'
what sort of milage have the rings done ?[/quote]

Not sure maybe 5 or 6000 in 3 years (use other scooters as well)

Rich'
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

There was a long running thread on t'other side about this exact same problem. There was some suspicion that the Exol fully synth was gumming the rings up. I'm not sure there is an actual problem with the oil, as such, but the suggestion was that it is basically too good and eventually builds up to the consistency of glue.
GTFOMWSC
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned

Question how old was it? You say 25lt tub I've heard its only supposed to be good for 12 months how long had you been using that tub? not sure if that is so but thats what I heard.Its taken me that long to get through 25lts and I haven't had any issues but smokey as people say but nothing else.Be interesting to know those that have had issues how old theres was.I have about 1lt left in my tub that I'm not going to use and have bought another 25lt and just run down to IOW with it no issues.
the man don't give a f@@k
ktmh5

GTFOMWSC wrote:Question how old was it? You say 25lt tub I've heard its only supposed to be good for 12 months how long had you been using that tub? not sure if that is so but thats what I heard.Its taken me that long to get through 25lts and I haven't had any issues but smokey as people say but nothing else.Be interesting to know those that have had issues how old theres was.I have about 1lt left in my tub that I'm not going to use and have bought another 25lt and just run down to IOW with it no issues.
Over 12 months, bought at beginning of 2015 season.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information