Unrestored Values

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Lamaddict

Seems to me that unrestored scoots are becoming more collectable and therefore more valuable. Makes me cringe to think of the great unrestored scoots that I've had through my hands back in the early 80's that we sprayed over.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

i think that your probably right, it is only original once, a full complete restoration looks as it did from the factory or even better in some cases but it is no longer original,that doesnt mean it doesnt look good, some standard restorations look perfect, and of course the more that get restored makes the original scooters harder to find and worth more, i like all scooters, but must say the older non restored look has grown on me over the years.
:D
holty
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

I've not researched prices but I think original paint ones in reasonable order are worth more, rust buckets not so...
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

I understand this point of view but I can't help wondering if patina is fashionable rather than fundamentally desirable.

I'm convinced that rustorations will go out of fashion in the same way as choppers with murals have. I personally see 'unrestored' scooters as an extension of faux-patina hipster style.

I'm also aware that in the eyes of many this makes me a heretic who should be burned at the stake, but there you go.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

I wonder what the difference in value is of a Riminni restored and a Riminni rustoration.....perhaps Dean will enlighten us.... :D
Shipleystevep
Main scooter: Lambretta

hendy wrote: I'm convinced that rustorations will go out of fashion in the same way as choppers with murals have. I personally see 'unrestored' scooters as an extension of faux-patina hipster style.

Agree, this "patina" thing applies to antique bronzes etc, but not to rusty old scooters (imo of course)
Burnside
Main scooter: Lambretta TV200

I've got a shiny restored GT200 S-Type which I love and an Eibar Li150 original paint rustoration which I also love. Different beasts, the rustoration is my all year round hack and rally scooter, if it gets wet, scratched, etc. then it just doesn't matter, my money went on the upgrading the engine, brakes, etc. The amount of money it costs to restore Lambrettas now is as bonkers as the price to buy them, last thing I would want is to ruin my GT by riding on salted roads, strapping rally gear to it, etc.

Rustorations may well go out of fashion, but nothing stopping me doing a full restore on it at a later date.
Last edited by Burnside on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Burnside wrote:I've got a shiny restored GT200 S-Type which I love and an Eibar Li150 original paint rustoration which I also love. Different beasts, the rustoration is my all year round hack and rally scooter, if it gets wet, scratched, etc. then it just doesn't matter, my money went on the upgrading the engine, breaks, etc. The amount of money it costs to restore Lambrettas now is as bonkers as the price to buy them, last thing I would want is to ruin my GT by riding on salted roads, strapping rally gear to it, etc.
Despite what I said earlier I wholeheartedly agree with this. I have an immaculate special which I'm terrified of getting wet. I'm restoring a winter model which will also be treated with kid gloves.

I plan on going to the York sc rally next month, but only if the weather is good enough for my mollycoddled lambretta :oops:
db67

Hi, just been reading this topic with some interest as I own a pretty much original paint GP/DL 125 & a rusty rat ( see my avatar) li 150 series one, & I don't consider them in any way to be part of the " latest scooter fashion " or must have !& definitely not worth more because they are in their original paint ! :D but what i do see them as is purely practical rally going scooters that I don't have to be to precious about, don't get me wrong I really appreciate all the hard work/money people put into their scooters to get them to the level they have but the custom/restoration scene is no longer for me & this from someone who has owned a few tidy scoots over the last 32 years ! I just prefer to ride them for what they are while keeping the engine & running gear in good working order. let's face it it would be a pretty boring scene if at every rally all you saw was lines & lines of restored or custom scoots ! I know rustorations , rats,chops,cutdowns,street racers,mod style etc etc aren't everyones cup of tea but like with every "scene" they do have their place. ;)
Mr G in NYC
Main scooter: SX200

Interesting thread ........ Must say I am rather fond of finding original paint spec
scooters. This TV175 in original state being a recent find. 8-) and I ride an original
paint silver special as my daily commute with the exception of a Casa 186 Kit on it . G.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information