Muscle Problems Working on my Scoots

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Lamaddict

I'm in the garage most nights tinkering :) My left shoulder, front muscle area started giving me problems a few years ago and now my right shoulder has gone the same way. The only thing it can be is the scoots :( anyone else had that problem and what did they do to stop the pain?
I know this seems like a bizarre problem but I don't want to give up scooter work.
warts
Main scooter: honda

Do you have a bike lift? Having the work come to you rather than having to contort yourself down to the scoot can only be beneficial.
No idea if it will cure or ameliorate your problem, but it will make it more pleasant.
Shipleystevep
Main scooter: Lambretta

Age thing..

Ibuprofen works for me, my hands suffer too after working in the garage
YAMLAM

Shipleystevep wrote:Age thing..

Ibuprofen works for me, my hands suffer too after working in the garage
as above.
win or lose have a booze
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

You want one of those scantily glad women to walk on your back. Some sort of physio anyway. Go and see a sports therapist. Probably not a good idea to suggest the former though. :D
Mr G in NYC
Main scooter: SX200

Have the same problem :(

My solution to ease the pain is from an ex Capt in the Royal Marines.....

You take a towel and roll very tightly into a tube roughly measuring
3-4inch diameter by about 30 inches ....then lay it on the floor
and lay your spine down the middle of it from base of your neck
to your coxsics, support your neck with a pillow and just relax for
30 mins and let your ribcage and muscles fall away to each side of
your body all the while maintaining a relaxed breathing pattern....
Saves my back on the euros 8-) . Good luck and let us know how
you get on ?

G.
coaster

I often suffer with lower back pain and various other muscle and tendon issues and find Voltorol Gel to work well. I use the 12 hour one and it does work although contrary to the telly advert, it hasn't improved my tennis ;)

My scooter related issues are 'trigger finger' which is where you fingers get stuck in the closed position plus a touch of Carpel Tunnel. I expect I'll have to get some surgery at some point.....don't like getting old :(
warts
Main scooter: honda

After having a disc get itchy feet when I was in a sleeping bag, in a tent down in southern France, and giving me a moment of panic. I found there are a couple of exercises that worked for me, although you may need to get out of the sleeping bag first.
Laying on your side, lowest leg straight down, uppermost leg straight, raise slightly and move slowly towards your front, keeping it raised. Hold for a minute or so - you should feel a the tension develop in the small of your back - this is the over tense and possibly spasmodic mscles being stretched. This will likely end the spasm and "cure" your back.
The other exercise is even simpler. Find some thing to sit on, a toilet seat is about the right height for me and a firm rather than a comfy chair (no one can withstand the comfy chair!) Feet shoulder width apart, gently and slowly lower your torso forwards - if you back is really bad you may wish it take some weight on your arms - if possible, go until your fingers touch the floor. In milder cases you can get your hands flat. I hold this for maybe 5 to 10 minutes. You should feel your lower back resist then slowly give. Again this is your lumber muscles coming out of spasm and into sweet relief.

If you are getting symptoms of a higher trapped nerve, in your neck, you may find a visit to an osteopath or chiropractor is necessary - the docs (up to consultant level, would only offer drugs, which bound me up and that made everything much worse, pushing. I never take drugs for back problems now.
I found the sports massage made me feel much better, but only for a few days. I enjoyed the whole massage thing except the thumb in the back of my hamstring OOOWWWWWW. Nursey showed no mercy.
The NHS 6 week physio course in comparison only worked for a day or so. On a couple of occasions actually made it feel worse.
As a maintenance regime, I lay flat with no pillow if I am on my back or front, and have just enough pillow to keep my spine/neck straight when on my side.
I find a very light massage, probably closer to stroking than the sort of thing you get in a sports massage, helps relieve the symptoms along with the laying flat.

Try to find if there is any position or movement that is the trigger. If you are sitting or kneelingon the floor, neither a good idea, then the hunched for hours could be cumulative, and getting a lift is probably the best - makes working on bikes much more pleasurable.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

A lift/work bench will make a big difference...
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

As Dolly Parton once said,"Old age is no place for whimps"and believe me she was right.
Signed -A pensioner still working on and riding my scooters.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information