SIP- Tyres and Rims

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

I bought a couple of pre-assembled rims and tyres for the pig.

I have two problems -

1. I tried to get some goop in but spilt more than I managed to get in the wheel - is there a trick to getting this in? I took the cores out before any one asks...

2. Once I took the cores out it was obvious one of the tyres hadn't been properly blown onto the bead. It is also apparent when inflated that it's not seated as the moulding isn't concentric to the rim. How much pressure is it safe to use to get it to pop on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Regarding the rim try and push it off the bead a bit more than it is now and get some fairy liquid in and around the bead, should easily pop on then but wouldn't go more than 45psi.
Speed Demon
Dealer

rosscla wrote:I bought a couple of pre-assembled rims and tyres for the pig.

I have two problems -

1. I tried to get some goop in but spilt more than I managed to get in the wheel - is there a trick to getting this in? I took the cores out before any one asks...

2. Once I took the cores out it was obvious one of the tyres hadn't been properly blown onto the bead. It is also apparent when inflated that it's not seated as the moulding isn't concentric to the rim. How much pressure is it safe to use to get it to pop on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1. tread on the tyre to squash it, fit goop nozzle then 'un-squash' so there is a slight vaccuum.

2. the tip above about re-lubing is good, but 45 is more than safe, I'd happily go a bit higher than that. You can bounce the wheel on the floor to help seat but simply riding on it when inflated will usually seal it straight.

http://www.scooterlab.uk/fitting-tyres- ... hand-tech/
Get to SULK
rosscla

Cheers will give these tips another go tomorrow.

I tried bouncing it and took it up to 50 PSI but it still didn't seat - will try the lube.

Wasn't quite sure that it was safe to ride on if not properly on the bead - even SIP obviously don't get it as easy as in their video ;)
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
rosscla

Been banging away at it for a couple of hours this morning with extra lube and no success in getting it seated properly. If you push it right off the bead and inspect the inner lip there's a definite 'crease' where the problem area is this is where it seems to get stuck when I inflate it.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Take it off then and send it back, you don't want to be messing about with dodgy tyres, just not worth it.
rosscla

:oops: Hmmm...

Well after fecking about with it for a couple of hours and being so focussed on the fact that the tire wasn't settled right on the bead I finally noticed they'd sent me Lambretta wheels and not Vespa ones ...doh! :oops: worse - I've scratched it some too so no chance of them taking it back ... on the up side I now have a spare for the GP... :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information