Gel seat/pads...

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

Never thought I would be asking this :oops: but it's definitely an age thing, what pads etc are recommended for long trips......off in a couple of weeks on our annual jaunt to Brittany. 240 miles in one day was a bit of a killer for me... :?
warts
Main scooter: honda

I spent more than 30 years spending my holidays riding around various bits of Europe on the bike. Normal mileage per hols would be 3000 to 5000 miles. Mostly we camped and moved on every night. We would do maybe 250 to 300 miles without it hurting - but that may also have something to do with general ergonomics too.

We (we could share one between us) found a sheepskin bought from a butcher local to use worked well. Yes it was already tanned.
It did get grubby after a few years, but it still worked - and shared duties as a seat for picnics and a night time pillow - she got it for that.
We rode in rain too, it didn't seem to matter, the lanolin in it kept it from absorbing water if it rained when we were stopped. It stayed put - didn't need any sort of fixing.
You can get black ones which may obviate the greyness.

The Americans will sell you a custom, arse shaded pad for $$$ with little laggies sewn on - completely unnecessary IME. Those that pay through the nose for one swear by them. Alaska pad.??? or similar for a collection of much filtered testimonials.
I think IKEA also sell them for about £20, you could put it in your spare bedroom if you don't like it.
nastro azzurro

I dont particularly rate the gel pad I have to be honest. It's ok for a while but then becomes just as uncomfortable as the seat.
I've also got a pad filled with buckwheat. This I have found to be more comfortable than the gel pad. I think the longest ride in a day was over 400 miles using this. Don't get me wrong, it was stilly bloody uncomfortable but at least made it more bearable!
I'm going to try an airhawk next. These are supposedly the one to have and most people really rate them. ( actually don't recall hearing any bad reports about them ).
After a couple of hundred miles nothing will be super comfortable but the pad at least makes it a little more bearable.
Good luck with it!
Spanish Fly
Main scooter: P200e

Timbo wrote:Never thought I would be asking this :oops: but it's definitely an age thing, what pads etc are recommended for long trips.?
Tena. ;)
hungdog

Airhawk all the way...
Timbo

Thanks..
speedy
Main scooter: lambretta af s type ts1

hungdog wrote:Airhawk all the way...
Plus 1.
dave411
Main scooter: Li 125

just got an air hawk,brilliant bit of kit.
Timbo

Which one?
diesel
Playstation gamer tag: speilekorps
Main scooter: lambretta li 150 s1 1958

I have one of the airhawk cruiser pillion models and its 11x9 inches and suited to lambretta seat shape more than any of their other pads. It's the cheapest too as far as I know.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information