belstaff style jacket

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Shuggie

Looking for a belstaff styled jacket for on the scooter, I had the weise cambridge until the paramedic had to cut it off me lol they don't make them anymore and I tried the weise clifton which is the replacement but it's nowhere near as good a jacket in my opinion.......any suggestions guys? cheers
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

Recommend any of the Tucano Urbano stuff. Some of their jackets are wax cotton
DaveTomo
Main scooter: SX 200

Bought one of these a while back - been pleased with it,also has a waterproof membrane between the wax material and lining & removable armour,back,shoulders elbows.Bit of a search you may get it cheaper this was just to show you the jacket

http://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/richa ... 0wodPtsEsg

The only downside with it has been the poppers weren't brilliant (may have been a one off) - watched a youtube video on how to change poppers/press studs then changed these over myself
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.
Stokie

I've been looking at the Belstaff Racemaster but they're rather expensive and offer no real protection.
This caught my eye as a possible alternative ..... http://www.getgeared.co.uk/held-jacket- ... 6245-black

Or there's always good old Frank Thomas is you can live with their awful yellow logo on your chest ....
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

I tried a Barbour one on a while back seemed good quality but a little on the pricy side.

There's also these made to measure

http://www.claymorejackets.co.uk
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
warts
Main scooter: honda

I've had a couple of wax cotton jackets and used them for years for continental touring on the bike, and despite all the modernistas saying how crap they are, they can do the job well. They can be a bit messy.
For casual falling onto the road, they are fairly abrasion resistant - at least the Belstaff/Barbour ones.
Usually their generous cut makes it easy to get a liner or fleece underneath. In UK riding weather can be 4 season wear. Hipsters in skin tight versions will be cold.
They will start to leak - which is when you need to reproof them, which is easy enough. Adds a surprising amount of weight though and you need to be even more careful about sitting on white furniture or upholstery in general.
Because of the reproofing, any colour other than black will start to look blackish. This is not easily reversible. And the transition can look unkempt.
The Barbour International Trialmaster style, with the sloping left upper pocket, although it makes you look a dead ringer for Steve McQueen, and therefore cool by association, the corner of the pocket eventually wears a hole in the sleeve.
ArmandTanzarian

rosscla wrote:I tried a Barbour one on a while back seemed good quality but a little on the pricy side.

There's also these made to measure

http://www.claymorejackets.co.uk

For a handmade jacket those prices are actually pretty good.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
diesel
Playstation gamer tag: speilekorps
Main scooter: lambretta li 150 s1 1958

I had a Barbour international in the eighties that could stand on its own on the floor it was stiff and thick with wax and I can't remember ever being wet in it ( that might just be the fog of time talking) I bought another genuine Barbour international from Barbour themselves about 10 years ago and it's a pale imitation of its predecessor. I've rewaxed it with Barbour branded wax it's had oil and grease and petrol and god knows what ground into it and still looks like something a Fashion item rather than the functional shiney utility garment that the old one was. The newer one seems far more lightweight and let's in water on the horizontal surfaces is shoulders and extended forearms, once the water gets in the fabric does a great job of keeping it in (after one savage soaking I undid the wrist clasp and the water poured out as if from a bottle) it's disappointing because they cost a lot of money and maybe I'm remembering wrong but the old one was a motorcycle jacket the new one doesn't feel like one
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information