Oil/ petrol Mix

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
shamrockexpress

The oil is there to lubricate the moving parts,,,,,,,,this is to cutdown on friction which = heat!!!!
so more of an oil mix will not make an engine run hotter because more lubrication = less heat!!!!!
Sure the cool fual coming in cools the head during ignition but it wont cool the big end, so your descision more fuel or more petrol?
If you run 4% oil and there is a seizure/breakage or what ever problem may occur you can at least rule out its not an oil issue, with 2 or 3% you will be left wondering :roll:
Graham Bell s 2 stroke tuning manual states you want to get as much 2 stroke into a hard working/competion engine as possible.

for me normally just over 3% fully synth
and 4% mineral or slightly less on semi synth Oregan chainsaw oil................my favourite and never an issue 25 quid 5 litres :D
paul d
Main scooter: T5 172 Tv 240

I wonder does oil burn hotter than petrol and would too much of it result in a hotter engine? I'm not sure of the answer but on my kitted t5 I run 3%. I think a much more serious problem is dirt or rust partially blocking jets and allowing the engine to run lean and cook itself. It's happened to me at full throttle, I never knew anything was wrong until it was too late! I wouldn't recommend it but I ran a long distance on 1% when my oil pump packed in. The 1% I always add to the tank saved my engine!
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

When we talk about rich/weak mixture we are talking about fuel/air ratio NOT fuel/oil ratio. So many people misunderstand this. Petrol is the coolant NOT the oil. Air burns HOT.
Once you have sufficiently lubricated the moving parts with 2 stroke oil, then adding further oil will not reduce the friction any further and will not cool the engine any further. AFZ Tuners say this and MBZ say that. They have NO scientific data on which to base their assumptions. Why people take what these people say as gospel is beyond me. They are ball park figures and not an exact science.
Adding an extra shot of oil for the journey does nothing other than make more smoke !
The heat that does the damage is just above the piston crown, not in the big end bearing.

Light the blue touch paper and step back !
shamrockexpress

Each to their own....................everyday is a school day for me :roll:
Chris in Margate

I agree... we're all still at school.
Ride Safe.
tavspeed

best way to sort this,is look at it like buying a cheap car,seller wants £400,i offer £300,we meet in the middle at £350,so 3.5 % and everyone is happy :lol:
a.j

EddieStone wrote:
a.j wrote:
Chris in Margate wrote:6 litres of best available and a 1/4 inch short of 2 oil jugs (just under 200 mls. Approx 33:1
Semi synthetic from Auchan in France €9.50 for 2 litres. Less than £8.
Oh, 3% semi synth around town, 4% on the motorway if riding to rallies.
Doesn't adding more oil make the mixture leaner because there's less fuel?
I suppose it depends on which oil you're using. I use groundsmans, not all singing, all dancing uber pricey fully synth.

Fully synth oils are expensive. I go by the assumption that I do a lot of motoway miles, so 4% suits me, I've never had a problem on the motorway doing that ratio, but I have seen the 4% brigade smoking heavily when doing local riding, so I drop it down. Again, never a problem.
Jazzy

Here's another variable for you,

Bike 1. 16 miles per litre at 4%

bike 2. 8 miles per litre at 2%

which is getting the most oil through the engine?
Chris in Margate

The mix of 4% must by pure logic deliver more oil per engine firing cycle than 2%.
Rs fruitbat

Jazzy wrote:Here's another variable for you,

Bike 1. 16 miles per litre at 4%

bike 2. 8 miles per litre at 2%

which is getting the most oil through the engine?

Both engines are having the same amount of oil through the engine because bike 1 is at 4% but does 16miles and bike 2 although at 2% only covers 8miles , am I correct ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information