Think we can sometimes over complicate problems, well I have

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
paulnobodyimportant
Main scooter: varies

A couple of years ago, my Monza engine developed a rattle and this was only after about 3000 miles since total engine case re-build. And while I'm on the subject, I replaced every bearing and needle bearing, which in hindsight, I don't think all replacements were required, so I'll know next time.

Anyway, back to rattle and over the last 2 years, I've had the top end off a few times, for other reason and all clearances were well within tolerance and yes, i did replace rings.

Got this scooter back on road now and after Morecambe run, rattle has got worse. Now I'm getting panicky as Knaresborough, Whitby and Euro are coming up, so I need to get serious. So just after Morecambe got on my hands and knees, side panel off and listening to engine. Sounds seems to be coming from chaincase and more towards the gear box. So chaincase off and chain correctly tensioned with Richard Taylors thing. Carried on and took off clutch and checked. Then checked end plate nuts, they were OK, as well as the gear box shim clearance, so really baffled.

Just done Knaresborough and rattle still there. So Monday, once again have side panel off and whilst scratching my head, I put my hand on the rear mudguard and its loose; b@11@x. Number plate off, silicone gobbing behind the mudguard and tighten up the bolt. Then went for a quick run down the by pass. Really pleased now as the rattle now gone, but side panel decided to make a leap for freedom, oh well!
Den 08
Main scooter: lambretta Gp 225

the joy of scootering I think most has been there, I think overcomplicating is par for the course.
a friend had his p2, 210 dynode setup he said runs lovely, but oh no, he knows better took carb off new carb
now faffing about with another carb :roll: (no not me)
coaster

A set of decent earplugs is a good investment, amazing how much better your engine will sound. I use the with my GTS as well and I can't hear the engine at all with that 8-)
wrecklessrobbie
Main scooter: li150

I was getting an annoying rattling on my s3.
I thought it was something major. I worry a lot about everything.
I walk out if my front door... Lock it. Get in my car.... Then get back out and recheck i have locked the door. If i dont my mind goes into overdrive. Must be age thing.... Or im more mental than i thought.
Any way i spent lots of time trying to find the said rattle..... Pinking, engine kocking,gearbox or bearing all crossed my mind.Turned out it was my toolbox door. As soon as i hold the revs on in a certain position it rattles like a good one. Let off or increase the revs and it stops.
I did knaresbrough and it did exactly the same all the way round.

Robbie
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

At least you found it was loose before it decided to have an intimate relationship with your rear wheel. That would have ruined your day.

I once spent a week getting a mates SX200 running, and when I eventually succeeded, we went for a short run. He decided to show me how much faster the 200 was by overtaking me at quite some speed. I was impressed. Then a few seconds later his fan cowling overtook me as well.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

You're a brave man admitting that ;-) I always put such threads in the third person, "my mate said...."

Reading it, I thought it was going to be a rattle in the toolbox :-)
Mr G in NYC
Main scooter: SX200

Oh boy ....feel for ya !! yep we've all been there ......had a rattle all the way down to Gijon
the Euro a few years back .....could not not figure out where it was coming from , so on the way back
in France popped the scoot on its side and had a good look underneath , engine cowl bolt :oops: missing
Lost on the way down ......I guess ..... was sure I had a terminal internal issue .......sometimes its just a
simple remedy ....Lambretta's don't you just love 'em 8-)
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

wrecklessrobbie wrote: I walk out if my front door... Lock it. Get in my car.... Then get back out and recheck i have locked the door. If i dont my mind goes into overdrive. Must be age thing.... Or im more mental than i thought.

Robbie
I share your pain. Worst when you're 5 miles down the motorway and have to come off at the next exit and go back to check. Got that T shirt. :oops:
paulnobodyimportant
Main scooter: varies

It's called OCD Corrado and wrecklessrobbie. My mates got it and its so bad, his wife has left him, so be warned. But there again, then may be a positive.
wrecklessrobbie
Main scooter: li150

:)
Nice to hear im not the only one :)
Im single ish so not so much of a worry.

I tend to admit to my mistakes and errors....one less thing to worry about!!!

I so lots of counting in my job. Marquees.... Lots of components and parts.... The amount of time i count and recount and recount is unbelievable. They leave me in the job... Not many shortages. Until i deliver it and its build i stress like a stressy thing.
Owning lambrettas.... Nightmare.... So much to worry about :)

Robbie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information