Scooter security

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
warts
Main scooter: honda

How much does "tagging" cost?
Where there are a series of micro tracking transponders fixed to the major parts.
GBCS
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB250

I apologise to the moderators if a plug for a product is inappropriate here, but we have a new division within my company:

http://www.safe-stor.co.uk

The website isn't finished yet, but we are working our way through it.

As has been already said, a determined their will always find a way, but these sheds have been designed to be seriously difficult to get into, even to the point that we have sold them to people who have put them inside a garage to prevent thieves even if they get into the garage.

If there were enough interest, we could put together a group buy offer for the site.

Mods: please feel free to move or delete this post if it breaches forum rules.
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

EddieStone wrote:
The trouble with cable locks is they can be cut through using a pair of wire snippers - you just snip each strand until you're through. Thicker cables just take a bit longer. A chain requires bolt croppers which are a whole different deal to carry around. For an opportunistic thief (ie one carrying a pair of snippers around with him, just in case) a cable lock is no deterrent.
Which is what I said, don't use one by itself but you can use one in conjunction with a D Lock or Chain.
servetakid wrote:While we are on this topic? Can anyone recommend a decent 'in shed' alarm?
If you're alarms going off then you're shed security is crap :-/
Chris in Margate wrote:I guess we will all have to resort to engraving our name or reg no on and inside the costly but easily shiftable parts:
Crankshaft, piston, cylinder, flywheel, stator, crankcase cover, exhaust, Carb, manifolds, headset top and bottoms. All the bits that come up for sale.
That's just shutting the stable gate after the horse is bolted though. Prevention, not cure!
warts wrote:How much does "tagging" cost?
Where there are a series of micro tracking transponders fixed to the major parts.
Again, closing the stable gate.
Donnie.
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

But I would have the satisfaction of at least knowing that my valuable parts could not be sold on ebay by the toe rags !

As much as possible I try to chain my scooter to another and trust me I gotta real chunky big 'un.

Sadly there is always so much enthusiasm to pull their arms off and smash their heads in but in reality does anybody ever really get "dealt with" ? I doubt it. It's difficult to take the law into your own hands without getting caught and punished by the law.
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

Butt plugs !
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

Don't see any problem in posting this but Andys Scooter in the picture has a tracker fitted....I've been looking at them today and they're not all that expensive...we parked up by the fence and end entrance at Wicksteed. I would never leave my scoot unattended or out of view...
Muttley McLadd

There's a UK company makes an alarm that you fit in the garage that is sofuckingloud that its intolerable to be near. I've not got a link, but did see them the other day when looking for those high pitched sirens to keep children away.
I'll dig it out when I get home.
They're abiut £500. But compared to the inconvenience of a bike loss, that's sheckles.
CakeAndArseParty
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

Those locks with alarms are supposed to be useful if combined with another lock. At least it draws attention to the situation.

As for dealing with thieves, I caught a burglar once. Chased him up the road where he fell over so I sat on him until the police arrived. Best thing to be done apparently as sitting on someone is the only passive restraint you can do without being charged for assault. He even asked me to beat him up and not call the police, but sadly he didn't have the right to call the shots. Tempting, but.. The police arrived, arrested him and sent him back inside.

I had a PX nicked many years ago, but luckily it was returned after a marine was caught pushing it up the hill from my house (up the hill? Why was he pushing it UP a fcking hill?!!). Anyway, even if they are nicked, they're usually in a sorry state if you get em back.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Even with the pig I have a heavy duty Oxford lock on the wheel/ forks and an artago on the bars.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information