SULK

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
eden
Dealer

Interesting development.
So most if not all of the freelancers for scootering mag have abandoned ship and started up SULK.
Thoughts?
http://www.scooterlab.uk
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

Seems an interesting shift away from paper based magazines:
"Do you love scooters but are fed up with dead-tree scooter media?

Would you like something that was more up to date, faster with the news, more interactive maybe?

Would you prefer it if you could obtain quality scooter content in a format that you could access anywhere, at any time, with the phone in your pocket or the computer in front of you?

What about going beyond a static format and adding video content designed both to inform and entertain?

How about your scooter media not being a one-way street, but by you being able to actively take part in real time?

How would you feel about all of this being brought to you by forward-thinking scooter riders like yourself?

Would you like to still get the quality of writing that only comes from knowledgeable and experienced writers?

Would you like to see big, powerful images displayed beautifully on a revolutionary website that blows the competition into the weeds?

How about if there was one place on the net that acted as a hub for scooterists worldwide? Somewhere you can find out about forthcoming events and post reports of those you’ve attended in video or photographic format.

How about a site that allowed you to get a better deal on insurance, clothing or simply to find your nearest dealer?

What would you pay for such a service? What if we said that you do not need to visit a newsagent to pay £4 every month or take out a subscription for this?

How about if we told you that the price for all this is FREE?

If that sounds like a good deal then you need SULK.

SULK is short for ScooterLab.uk and it’s coming to you soon.

Sign-up online to be the first to know when it kickstarts…"

The potential reach of an online magazine compared to a paper one is huge. All paper based magazines must be thinking about a move like this
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Well, even the Independent newspaper is doing it, so there is obviously a trend. Personally speaking I don't think many people care about online content. It's there, you can dip into it when and where you want, but that's the problem. I doubt many people will sit and read an in depth article on their smart phone, and in the end it's just so much internet noise.
oneday

For a minute I thought this was a reference to scooterboyworld, another forward thinking group of scooterists who have long since embraced all of the above!! :mrgreen:
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Doom Patrol wrote:Well, even the Independent newspaper is doing it, so there is obviously a trend. Personally speaking I don't think many people care about online content. It's there, you can dip into it when and where you want, but that's the problem. I doubt many people will sit and read an in depth article on their smart phone, and in the end it's just so much internet noise.
I agree. I read a lot on line, but find it less enjoyable than a piece of paper.

it's not just an age thing either; my 2 kids (14 and 10) use online gaming, social media and the rest of that stuff, but when it comes to reading they pick up a book, comic, magazine.
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

I enjoy having a magazine to flip through, you can pick it up and put it down, rather than powering up some device or other. I'm finding these days the typeface in some magazines makes it a challenge without a different pair of specs, so a digital reader is a definite bonus.

The drawback of digital stuff is that it's unavailable when there's no internet available. Admittedly, no internet is becoming less of a problem than it was, but it can still be unavailable when you most need it
woody

The idea sounds good bit i like to read in the old fashioned sense when i,m on the crapper !
eden
Dealer

The thing that I found interesting about it is that although people moan about scooter mag regarding it full of adverts, people don't generally moan about the features that the freelancers provide. Now those freelancers won't be providing articles for the magazine so the content people do like will change due to new people doing the articles.
Time will tell but I hope it works out for them.
Reading content digitally for me is far more enjoyably than in paper format. I've been reading books on Kindle for years. I find that as the Internet is now available on many devices and is available where ever you go that it's more convenient to find something of interest or continue reading what ever on a device that's always in my pocket than having to trawl through a draw trying to find an article in amongst a pile of magazines that the mrs has tidied away to the Bermuda triangle
ArmandTanzarian

It'll be interesting to see how the finance it and have enough left over to pay themselves. I'm guessing advertising.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
shamrockexpress

woody wrote:The idea sounds good bit i like to read in the old fashioned sense when i,m on the crapper !
Sounds a bit like my Study except I have a bath and shower as well, Here I read in peace and get rid of all the days excess crap all in a nice aroma only appreciated by me(funny enough) :lol: :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information