Scooters India Limited

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
GBCS
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB250

This is probably a question for the guys in the trade.

Who knows anything about Scooters India Limited ?. Are they the guys making the engines that we still see listed by various Indian sellers on eBay ?

I dabble a little bit in business, and have the scooter bug since 1983. As such, I quite fancy bringing in a container or two of stuff ( ideally new lambretta spares ), and distributing them at a sensible margin direct from my warehouse.

I don't want to become a dealer, what I would like to try and do is help keep our Lambrettas on the road, without it costing the earth, and paying the profiteering eBay prices.

I have emailed the contacts listed at http://www.scootersindia.com/ several times over the last couple of years, and never got a single reply.

Am I asking the right people ?

Am I wasting my time ?
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Scooter Restorations are the main importers of SIL stuff and even they occasionally seem to have 'difficulty' persuading them to make stuff despite what's probably a 30+ year relationship.

I'm guessing a lot of the guys in India and on eBay are selling either local market copy parts or forged SIL stuff, there is stuff about in fake SIL packaging that doesn't even come up to basic standards (and I mean the packaging not to mention the parts).

I'd think that you might have a better chance of finding a decent reseller out there to supply you at a wholsale price .

There's already guys like Sundar Scoots, and several others with more mixed reputations, who I suspect are already doing something similar, but if you follow them on FB they're out there making contacts on the ground.

Good luck anyway.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
coaster

rosscla wrote:Scooter Restorations are the main importers of SIL stuff and even they occasionally seem to have 'difficulty' persuading them to make stuff despite what's probably a 30+ year relationship.

I'm guessing a lot of the guys in India and on eBay are selling either local market copy parts or forged SIL stuff, there is stuff about in fake SIL packaging that doesn't even come up to basic standards (and I mean the packaging not to mention the parts).

I'd think that you might have a better chance of finding a decent reseller out there to supply you at a wholsale price .

There's already guys like Sundar Scoots, and several others with more mixed reputations, who I suspect are already doing something similar, but if you follow them on FB they're out there making contacts on the ground.

Good luck anyway.
I agree, spot on there Ross. I have wondered if some of the stuff offered are rejects bought as scrap? There also a fair few offering vespa and LML parts as well. I bought an LML 150 5 port barrel with piston from Mikey Spares for £24.99. Ok it cost the same in postage but the quality of the casting (iron) would put most Lambretta kits to shame. Runs just fine too 8-). I also bought a complete LML clutch from him which again is absolutely fine but the clutch arm was a piece of shite and went in the bin. He does lambretta stuff too and is good with communication but as Ross said, the quality will be suspect. Try before you buy.
GBCS
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB250

rosscla wrote:Scooter Restorations are the main importers of SIL stuff and even they occasionally seem to have 'difficulty' persuading them to make stuff despite what's probably a 30+ year relationship.

Good luck anyway.
I suspect you are 100% correct with all of the above. I import from China and I am used to companies fighting for our business over there.

It seems there is no appetite at SIL to keep the old machines running, and in reality can you blame them, there is little or nothing for them in it.

It's a shame, but the market is too small to justify the effort that would be involved to do it properly if the Indians don't want to cooperate.

There are some good factories out in China that could pattern everything we would ever want if the demand were there.

Crowd funding venture anyone ? - We could establish the UK Lambretta Collective, and get all the parts required to keep our scoots running for another 50 years :D
servetakid
Main scooter: Jet 200

I would suspect it's more to do with SIL having a good and profitable relationship with one of the biggest scooter shops in the UK/Europe.. No?
shamrockexpress

I would say if you where to clear out most of the hoarders on here you,ll have no need to go to india!!!!!!!!!!!
tell ya what you can start with all the crap I,ve gathered up :D :D :D
If I was to tell my wife I was investing in more scooter parts I will be on the look out for wife No. 17 :lol: :lol: :lol:
jazzyb

As a lot of people no Paul brieley who owns scooter restorations as been dealing with Indian scoots and parts for ever or it seems that way he's got it right some of the others ain't ? That says it all I'm not wrighting this just cos I no him it's proven 8-)
Last edited by jazzyb on Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

I should think before you get into anything like that you should ask if you are ready to have half your parts sent back. :o
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

What parts were you thinking of having made? There seems to be enough of a market for some manufacturers to make parts for Lambrettas, such as Casa.

If you can get a decent consistent level of quality that can outweigh the 'Made in China' tag, you may get some business, but it will depend on what parts you're going to make: panels, engine parts, frame parts.... There always seems to be a demand for engine components, but panels and accessories are much more fickle. Top prices paid for Italian stuff and so much of everything else is such poor quality.
MarkH
Dealer

Profiteering? Boy I wish all you suckers could have seen all us dealers at our annual convention. All of us sitting atop mountains of money dressed in the finest fur coats and diamond encrusted tonic suits, whilst drinking the finest champagne and then not drinking it BECAUSE WE CAN. I look forward to this event all year as do so many others.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information