New lml or old Vespa??

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Revvers
Main scooter: Lambretta special

Hello all. Looking for a classic style geared scooter for spring/summer commute, as I don't want to use the Lammy for that anymore. Should I get a new Lml 200 4 stroke (head says yes) or an older P200 Vespa for the same money (£2,300)?? Opinions appreciated. Thanks
lambro

Older style P2 :-)
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

I'd be tempted to try out the 200 4t if you're bothered about economy and reliability for commuting - I've heard some good reports about it.

If you get a test drive - report back.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

If you're keeping it standard then the LML is a good buy. A mate has the 150 version and it's not half bad. Efficient, reliable, economical and fast enough.

If you're thinking of tuning it, then go for the P2, there aren't many tuning options for the four stroke that make much difference.
shamrockexpress

Not good for long distance,,,,,,,,,,only a 4/5 litre petrol tank and when that gets low fuel starvation is an issue I had to sort out on a mates 4t 200 we had to fit a mikuni fuel pump and that solved the problem Just as well he rides it like he stole it its not that fast anyway :lol:
Daggs

I have no idea where you live or where you commute to. If it happens to be London? I would get the 4T. It's only a matter of time before two-strokes are banned from London.
Shaunbond

I'm lucky enough to have both, they are excellent in the own ways. Neither has any real engine mods, PX is a Harry Barlow Stage 4 and SIP2 pipe the LML just Gianelli exhaust and blanked of SAS. Both go very well, a mate of mine and me did 500 or so miles round Wales over 3 days and over 900 in Scotland over 4 days, we both averaged over 110mpg and no real problems. My scooter was almost new at the time, the rear brake bound after a steep decent and a bit of fuel starvation early on in the trip but its never happened before or since!

Before I treated my PX to a make over I used it to commute 35 miles or so a day, went well but only returned 60ish MPG when compared to the LML, plus the 2 stroke oil. Therefore cheaper to run the LML but I'd expect it to loose value much quicker.

Hope it helps.
Serial scooter rider...
VMSC Committed to Scootering for 25 years
Juan

My brother has the LML, he loves it. Not that keen on it myself but then I don't have to ride it. If it's a keeper then go with your gut, if you think you might want to shift it on in the future then get the PX no question as the values will stay up for the foreseeable at least. The LML will tumble like a stone.
Revvers
Main scooter: Lambretta special

Thank you all for your comments. My commute is 35 mile round trip and I'd probably just run it into the ground, so I may go for the Lml, as I won't bother selling on. Keep the Lammy for best! Cheers
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Personally if it were a choice between a p200e and an lml and I chose the lml for practicality I'd wonder why I hadn't just bought a Honda cb500.

Incoming..............
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information