sip stud.nuts coming undone

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
shocky

A thread on Facebook and someone commented that "loads" have had this problem and the nuts need thread locking on. Hearsay or should I be concerned!?
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
nastro azzurro

I've had sip rims since they first came out and I've never had a problem with nuts coming loose.
Have done several thousand miles too.
Mine have normal flat and spring washers under the nuts, not the nordlocks they now supply. I obviously change the washers when I have new tyres but on occasion have used the old ones without issue.
I have snapped a stud tightening a nut once :oops:
weeks

No issues here either :?
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Customer of mine lost his off a Vespa on the way home.... back wheel fell off!
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
GP240

I lost 2 off the rear wheel (at the same time) with 'Nordlock' washers, I replaced with 2 I had on my spare, Not sure if I had tightened up enough but when I put the spare 2 on I give a bit more with the 'elbow grease' and heard the lock washers give a loud click. I went round and did the same to the rest an never had one come loose since.
Old Lambretta's never die, they get tuned..................
Muttley McLadd

My coop ones have never fallen off. The Nordlock washers are replaced every time the wheel is off (much like nyloc nuts), and they've been replaced with locally sourced Nordlock washers.
CakeAndArseParty
nelson pk

My advice for what its worth is that i use the sip rims....however dont just wack them on your scooter without checking fitment first.
I have found that especially on Lambretta rear hubs, when you first install them, take the hub off and fit it to the rim loosely off the scoot. If it fits perfectly and the rim sits comfortably on the hub with no gaps between rim and hub lugs....good to go! Everytime i have fitted them though , they are not a perfect fit. A little bit of filing (dressing) to the end of the hub fitting lugs sometimes needs to be done for a perfect fit (rim naturally resting on hub lugs with no gaps).
If its not going on properly i can see it causing issues, oh and i always use a small amount of thread lock on any wheel nuts!
OzOAP
Main scooter: Vespa PTS1E

No problems on any of mine.
I use schnorr washers instead of the Nordlocks.
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

No issues with mine and done a few miles
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
bigscottyuk
Main scooter: Vespa PX200

Been running on them on my P2 for years now & never had a problem.

Maybe down to riders not carrying out regular checks on their scoots? So when one does go walkies all mighty hell breaks loose on socila media.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information