Registration.

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

Hi all, I'm about to apply for a number plate and have filled out a V55/5 form. Do I apply for a tax disc now or wait until I get the number plate? I'm a bit confused as to what I do. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks Pete.
barnsleybilly
Main scooter: Li200

You need to have the scooter MOT'd and send that with your application, together with a dating certificate & fee. I also sent photographs of the frame & engine number.

Not sure whether you also need to send a NOVA, even if the scooter was purchased in the UK.

You'll only be able to tax it when you have your V5.
10 inch Terror

Perfect. Thank you very much.
Daggs

barnsleybilly wrote:You need to have the scooter MOT'd and send that with your application, together with a dating certificate & fee. I also sent photographs of the frame & engine number.

Not sure whether you also need to send a NOVA, even if the scooter was purchased in the UK.
DVLA will require the NOVA registration number

You'll only be able to tax it when you have your V5.
Not so. The tax is applied at the time of registration, unless you declare SORN
10 inch Terror

so, do I send a cheque for the registration fee, and one for the tax? Do they send a tax disc out these days, or not? I'm confused has to how it all works.
Daggs

They'll want £55 for registration fee and will only require a cheque for tax if;
a) you fill in the box 'date of tax to start' (or words to that effect, I can't remember exactly)
b) The vehicle is not classed as historic (after 1974 I think)
c) You supply an insurance cover note

If it's not insured you will need to declare SORN.

No such thing as a 'tax disc' anymore. It's all electronically recorded.

I'm right in the middle of this myself. Going for the registration but straight onto SORN option. Currently I am held up because DVLA want the scooter inspected (quelle surprise)
When they wrote and told me to book an inspection, they also sent me a SORN declaration form.
Inspector coming tomorrow (Monday) When he's been and gone I intend to send off the SORN declaration.

Since the closure of local DVLA offices, It's my opinion DVLA are struggling with the volume of work that comes their way There also seems to be some misunderstanding of the rules, in Swansea. It's not just you and me who get confused by it all ;)
Daggs

Just in case anyone is still following/interested in this.

Today I have recieved my V5. :D
I have not insured the scooter and therefore did not send a cover note after being assured, on this forum, that registering can be done without insurance. It would seem so. :) I did not expect 'tax' to be applied !
After the inspection I did send off a SORN declaration to DVLA. However I just checked online. My newly reg'd scooter is there and is 'taxed' until Oct 2016 :!:
I don't intend to use it on the roads before next spring so won't insure it until then.

I am wondering if there is a 'lag' and the SORN will be applied in a week or so? I'll have to wait and see.

Also the DVLA online says there is no record of an MOT which is clearly wrong as I sent it and wouldn't have got the Reg without it. This also makes me think there is a 'lag' on the system.
Suede Ed
Main scooter: SIL GP200

Do you know why they wanted to inspect it? And what did that involve? Ive motd and have age related doc, just got v55, don't wish ti insure yet either, but reading above posts, i may have to, as its a '81 inian gp. Forms horrendous isnt it!
Last edited by Suede Ed on Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

Inspection used to be a random thing - before they were closed some of the local DVLA offices would insist on inspecting vehicles being registered - Worcester was one.

Inspection essentially is an inspector eyeballing the numbers on the bike match what you have written on the form. I would imagine that they are also checking that you are not passing off a scooter as a something else.
Did you have to do that?
Daggs

Suede Ed wrote:Do you know why they wanted to inspect it? And what did that involve? Ive motd and have age related doc, just got v55, don't wish ti insure yet either, forms horrendous isnt it!
My two experiences of 'inspection' have involved 2fellers (first time) and then the junior feller on his own (second time)
from SGS. Who photographed the scooters from three or four angles. Then checked the frame and engine numbers against the info I had supplied. They also photograph the numbers.
It 'seems' to be a random selection process, however. The first time (in my case) was because there was a mistake on the NOVA declaration. They 'needed' to see the bike to ensure the facts.
I suspect the next project was inspected because my name was highlighted at Swansea and they wanted to make sure I wasn't on the fiddle.

I don't see how this system can continue. What does it cost DVLA to send SGS out? One of the guys said he was doing eight that day! (not all scooters)
I don't see why the MOT tester of an imported vehicle cannot validate the relevant numbers and save DVLA all the bother and cost.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information