What's your view on a scooter restoration

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Rs fruitbat

I'm asking the question because I'm going to be undertaking a restoration project very soon , me personally I like them done to as near to the factory spec as possible , but I appreciate its not possible to do that in some areas of the build ,parts availability ect.

What are your views , keep it original , lairy paint job , rustaration , standard looks big bhp and so on ?
double h
Main scooter: SIL GP 200

Depends on the model you are restoring imo?
lambro

To me, a restoration is a build to factory spec, restored to how it left the showroom.
Anything else is a rebuild/custom/general tidy up.

But the 'restoration' term is used very loosely nowadays.
When I did my TV2, I used everything NOS that I could, and kept 6v and everyting.
When I did my wifes 125 Nuovo, I did it with an aftermarket seat, 12v electrics and a legshield toolbox, bloody nice, but not a resto.

Shaun.

Its your scooter, do want you feel is the right thing.
Meds
Main scooter: Li125s

My experience only
return foray into scootering was a 64 LIs restoration factory spec (except the electrics )
Recovered nearly all the parts including screws and rubbers.
My second foray LI125s still in what's left of the factory paint, covered it in ACF 50 changed the shock, put a pair of rusty LI panels on it & recycled the engine into a Rapido 225.
The LI150s looks great but it's dire to ride, slow, ponderous and you are just an obsticle for car drivers, the Rapido is so much fun to ride and I don't worry about it getting scratched, chipped etc.
If I had to do it again I would preserve the 150s and blow the budget on the engine/brakes etc
It's a bit of what you fancy
Sofia Loren strolling down the Beach at Caen looking fantastic
Or big Ju leaving you with a grin so wide it hurts
You choose
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

If your going to ride it then you have to be sensible IMO. Performance engine to cope with modern day traffic and riding with mates, up graded electrics, nylon lined cables etc all within an original looking scooter. If it's not going to be ridden far and it's just a project then restore it to its former glory unless it's well preserved and then a rustoration is the way forward.
Muttley McLadd

It would probably depend on what it is you're starting with. How fucked would it be?
CakeAndArseParty
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Timbo wrote:If your going to ride it then you have to be sensible IMO. Performance engine to cope with modern day traffic and riding with mates, up graded electrics, nylon lined cables etc all within an original looking scooter. If it's not going to be ridden far and it's just a project then restore it to its former glory unless it's well preserved and then a rustoration is the way forward.
+1

But it's yours you do what you like with it.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
ArmandTanzarian

What they said....

It depends what you want it for.

If its to be a trailer queen or never travel further than a few miles then keep it original. If you actually want to ride it any distance then make changes that add to reliability. If you want more performance then there are a host of options ranging from subtle to bonkers.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
Rs fruitbat

double h wrote:Depends on the model you are restoring imo?
Vespa PK ;)

Thanks for the comments so far :D
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

lambro wrote: Its your scooter, do want you feel is the right thing.
This. (before I have read any other posts and formulated what my own answer would be.
Donnie.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information