Scootering mag Apologies

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Lamaddict

I noticed the apology in Scootering about having to drop articles because of so many events going on, what a bunch of crap it's still full of adverts. I know they changed the format a while ago and it got better but it's slipped back to an ad mag. My wife even looked through it, which she's hardly ever does and said it was full of ads. I've got the mag for years but no more and for me that's a shame.
LI150
Main scooter: Series 2 LI150

Hardley buy it anymore. Do like the scooter articles and to read about new products but agree to many ads and crap write ups about scooter rallys
ArmandTanzarian

They have to pay the bills somehow and that means adverts. I agree about the rally write ups though.

We set off from (Insert town name here) and after an eventful / uneventful journey (Delete as appropriate) we arrived at (Insert town name here)

Blah blah blah, Northern Soul, Ska great time, Custom show blah blah blah

Big thanks to (Insert names and scooter club here)

Add half a dozen near identical pictures of blokes in flight jackets, a middle aged skinhead woman and or modette and a couple of scooters.

To be honest you could read any rally write up produced over the last 25 years and the only thing that would change would be the weight of the people in the photos
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
Strummer10
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Special 225

yes it has gone to full on adverts. They also need fresh blood writing the technical articles. How about one on the problems with layshafts snapping on lammies and is it because of the BHP now going up on scoot engines and is there a layshaft to counter act the problems..................
dave411
Main scooter: Li 125

I think there is.MB do one.
Strummer10
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Special 225

Dave what edition.....so many adverts I must have missed it lol ....
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

ArmandTanzarian wrote:They have to pay the bills somehow and that means adverts. I agree about the rally write ups though.

We set off from (Insert town name here) and after an eventful / uneventful journey (Delete as appropriate) we arrived at (Insert town name here)

Blah blah blah, Northern Soul, Ska great time, Custom show blah blah blah

Big thanks to (Insert names and scooter club here)

Add half a dozen near identical pictures of blokes in flight jackets, a middle aged skinhead woman and or modette and a couple of scooters.

To be honest you could read any rally write up produced over the last 25 years and the only thing that would change would be the weight of the people in the photos
You make it sound so appealing.

I haven't been on a rally since 1988. However, I'm going on one tomorrow. I won't wear a flight jacket and I'm not a modette but i suspect I've put on a couple of pounds since my last one.

I might stop at home and watch Britain's got talent instead
dave411
Main scooter: Li 125

No,its a company name.Mark Broadhurst.He makes a replacement,and its supposed to be damned good.Google MB Scooter parts and search his web site.
paul d
Main scooter: T5 172 Tv 240

I like the magazine! Alot of ads granted but without them I'd never know about the new stuff available or even rally dates. I'd like to see more long road journey write ups and life stories of scooter people who are still around but in fairness these two subjects do feature...I'd just like more of 'em. I like the rally write-ups, especially in winter when I'm stuck indoors. I think support of the magazine is important and if more legislation to end scootering appears, the magazine might be the only way to motivate and co ordinate everyone to fight it.
bsso78

Without adverts how do you expect costs to be covered?
Do you watch other television channels apart from the BBC? Advertising pays wages and production costs and helps to make a profit, the fact that companies want to advertise within Scootering Magazine demonstrates that it is still a popular publication and that advertising helps to produce better articles, as do sales. By deciding not to buy it anymore isnt going to alter the amount of adverts but perhaps if more people had a read and looked at the new layout and bought it on a more regular basis then the need for advertising may drop slightly?

As for saying fresh blood is required for writing technical articles, why not give it a go and send something in? The people writing for Scootering dont come from journalist school ready filled with 20 years experience of classic (or modern) scooters, they are the people you see on rallies or on the road, everyday enthusiasts like yourself who can string a sentence together and knock up an article.
If you want to see something on layshafts, email the Editorial team and suggest it. Complaining on a forum wont get anything done about what you want to see but talking to the people who produce it and who like to hear from readers just might.

Just a thought like.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information