The first breakdown: How to thread inner gear change cables?

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
britcay
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150 S3

Gear change cables. Got to love em - Any tips on the best way to feed a new inner through the outer? It's a bit snug in there. I was thinking bathtub of lubrication and taping the tail end of the new to the head of the old (having clipped off the top) and pulling it through whilst my glamorous assistant aka Mrs Britcay gently feeds it in from the top? (ooh matron!)

At least my first breakdown (of a Lambretta variety) was actually back on my own driveway. I'd been out for over an hour and as I coasted onto the drive, I had a left handfull of what my granddad would call "sweet sod all" I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

It's actually quite therapeutic this tinkering lark.
double h
Main scooter: SIL GP 200

britcay wrote:Gear change cables. Got to love em - Any tips on the best way to feed a new inner through the outer? It's a bit snug in there. I was thinking bathtub of lubrication and taping the tail end of the new to the head of the old (having clipped off the top) and pulling it through whilst my glamorous assistant aka Mrs Britcay gently feeds it in from the top? (ooh matron!)

At least my first breakdown (of a Lambretta variety) was actually back on my own driveway. I'd been out for over an hour and as I coasted onto the drive, I had a left handfull of what my granddad would call "sweet sod all" I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

It's actually quite therapeutic this tinkering lark.
Enjoy the feeling, there's plenty more off that to come ;)
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

If the cables have been correctly fitted it should slide in with a bit of a wiggle. If they are very old you might have a problem. You might not know but you can buy friction free/nylon lined cables which make a big difference. Which cable broke? I would change them all.....more expense of course... :lol: gear change, from the headset top making sure the outer is fitting in the housing....
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

Dip them in a bottle of 2 stroke to lubricate. Definitely change both. Careful not to push too hard and dislodge the outers from the headstock. Replacing gear inners on a Lammy is normally one of the easier jobs !!
When you tension them up it is easier to do if you firstly unhook the clutch cable. Using a large open ended spanner or mole grips lever the clutch arm forward against quite strong pressure and unhook.
Let the gear cable adjusters back in now so you have room to tension further when they stretch.
I always tension the back gear cable up first because it's an awkward so and so to do so when both cables are installed. You'll soon see what I mean.
Last edited by Chris in Margate on Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

If you've started "tinkering" it's worth buying "Stickeys" book on Lambrettas, lots of pictures and some good tips.
YAMLAM

mick1 wrote:If you've started "tinkering" it's worth buying "Stickeys" book on Lambrettas, lots of pictures and some good tips.
Amen to that.
best bit of advise anyone could give a newcomer.
win or lose have a booze
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

+2
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information