I want to keep exhaust looking bare metal

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
simonwwfc

Guys my new handmade exhaust from frank Sanderson has arrived I'd like to leave it looking bare metal as looks so much better I don't want to get it powder coated but don't want it rusting is there anything I can spray or paint onto it thanks
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

You can get clear powder coat or I think some of the more exotic coating also offer clear, try Camcoat.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
ipman

paint it with kurust then clean it with wd40 every time you lock her up and it will last bare metal for as long as you want

nothing else works long term
onthelam
Main scooter: not yet

Clear VHT exhaust paint is available. If you only ride sporadically then the WD-40 route works for me. But do it before you wash the bike?

I do like the bare metal idea though.
simonwwfc

Many thanks
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

I've used VHT clear satin on one of mine with good results & it seems to be holding up well enough...
T5-190

The trouble with high temp clear coat for exhausts etc is trying to keep it on and keeping it glossy. The gloss agent in the paint turns matt and peels off. The VHT paint group do a satin clear coat that stays on very well at high temp (over a 1000'c). If you follow the instructions it stays on a very long time. I've seen this stuf used in the F1 industry with great effect. And its available in a can for about a tenner too.

http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-paint ... rosol.html
simonwwfc

Thanks
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information