Insurance legality question.

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
speedy
Main scooter: lambretta af s type ts1

I have 2 scooters on a multi bike policy and one on a separate policy. The scooters are insured for just myself to ride. A friend would like to borrow one of the scooters on the policy for coast to coast, as his own scooter will not be ready in time as he has had paint delays etc. What my question is, is would he be able to get insurance on a scooter registered in my name, that is already insured on a policy of my own? I want to help him out, but don't want to fall foul of the law.Cheers, Speedy.
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

Plenty of post on web forums to say you can. You can only cliam on one policy if there is an "incident."
Did you have to do that?
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

If the scooter's already insured on its own policy, then the easiest way around it would be to have him added as a named rider on your policy.... I did the same thing last year for a mate of mine & he just paid the extra premium required.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

should be OK but make sure its watertight.

If not,and you get caught, the BIB will do you for "allowing"- your only defence is he was riding without your permission (TWOCKING). Either way they will get one of you with a hefty fine and, I think, 6 points :shock:

Insurance/ licensing/ and riding is becoming a minefield!

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
speedy
Main scooter: lambretta af s type ts1

Thankyou all for your input, that has helped a lot. cheers,Speedy.x
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Does he have his own insurance on his own scooter? If so it may cover him to ride yours but they usually stipulate 3rd party only cover.
wurzel
Main scooter: TV 175 / JET 200

And the trouble with 3rd party only on your policy is if it's stolen or you have an off you'll have it
to pay for.
Mate of mine used to insure his scooter for him only and his lass used to do the same and ride each others
on the B clause.He snapped the kickstart on his while setting off for work,pushed it back in the garage and borrowed
his lass's.Chained it up at work and came out later to find it was gone.
Insurance company refused to pay out.
If it was me I would get him added to the policy for what it will cost and to save all the grief
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

corrado wrote:Does he have his own insurance on his own scooter? If so it may cover him to ride yours but they usually stipulate 3rd party only cover.
And a lot of "classic" policies don't have a clause to cover anything but the specified bike
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information