how to check if its been writen off

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Tosh

son was in a accident scooter bent back so the bars touched the seat which creased the frame at the brake peddle area,bobbys sorted a brake down company to take it away before I could do out as I went to hospital with my son.I have now bought it back from the brake down company which was three days after the accident,i told the police man that it would prob be written off ,I have never been contacted with insurance company for them to view,so were or how do I check to see if the number plates or log book are still ok to use if I buy a new frame. OH the accident happened about 2yrs ago. Thanks Paul
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

Did you claim on insurance or not? That's the question, if you did then they will have informed you of the category of write off, should be a category B where the frames not allowed back on the road but you can use other ancillary parts eg the engine / headset etc.

but as I say, if you went through the insurance they should have told you.
Donnie.
Tosh

no I didn't claim
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

Tosh wrote:no I didn't claim
It's not a write-off then.
Did you have to do that?
rosscla

But putting all the parts and number plate on a different frame would be 'ringing'
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
rosscla

It would if you tried to pass it off using the v5 details and plate from the original.

I'm sure there must be a way to legitimately do it though.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

rosscla wrote:It would if you tried to pass it off using the v5 details and plate from the original.

I'm sure there must be a way to legitimately do it though.
you can reframe a bike/scooter or reshell a car etc using a NEW or unregistered frame/shell and use the original v5 and number plate.
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
rosscla

And you declare having done so and update the DVLA and v5 with the new chassis number. They might even have to issue you one and have it stamped.

They did this with and unmarked Sx frame I tried to register some years ago. They insisted I had a plate made with the number they supplied and have it riveted to the frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wurzel
Main scooter: TV 175 / JET 200

Nearly 20 years ago a mate of mine had a crank go through the casing on his GP 200 and completely wreck
the casing,and I mean way beyond repair. One of the lads we knew had a brand new unstamped Innocenti
200 casing so we stripped out what we could and he re-stamped the new casing and binned the old one.
If you are replacing the original frame with an original unstamped replacement frame and scrapping the
old one surely it wouldn't cause any problems as you are replacing like for like and it isn't recorded as a
write off.
Obviously if you took the numbers off say an Li and tried to stamp it up as an Sx or Tv then you are trying to
con someone and that's a completely different matter.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information