Halfords v Scooter dealer.

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
a.j

Can someone please tell me why a heavy duty plastic petrol can from Halfords is £14, and one of similar capacity shaped so you can use it as a lambretta petrol tank is £190?
Muttley McLadd

One of them comes with stainless steel straps (possibly half an inch too long). And one doesn't.
CakeAndArseParty
jason frost
Dealer

Economy of scale I would think
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

one seller makes a reasonable profit and the other makes a large profit.

one doesn't leak and the other probably will eventually. :D

one aims its target audience at a group that doesn't like being ripped off, the other targets a group that just accepts it. :shock:

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
ArmandTanzarian

a.j wrote:Can someone please tell me why a heavy duty plastic petrol can from Halfords is £14, and one of similar capacity shaped so you can use it as a lambretta petrol tank is £190?
I would imagine that it's because if you go to the Wun-Hung-Lo Plastic manufacturing Company and say, "I'd like a million of your standard plastic fuel cans please." they'll cost you 5p each. If you say "could you set up an injection molding process because I want a slightly different shape from standard and by the way I only want a couple of hundred." the price will be rather different.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

ArmandTanzarian wrote:
a.j wrote:Can someone please tell me why a heavy duty plastic petrol can from Halfords is £14, and one of similar capacity shaped so you can use it as a lambretta petrol tank is £190?
I would imagine that it's because if you go to the Wun-Hung-Lo Plastic manufacturing Company and say, "I'd like a million of your standard plastic fuel cans please." they'll cost you 5p each. If you say "could you set up an injection molding process because I want a slightly different shape from standard and by the way I only want a couple of hundred." the price will be rather different.
Bingo!
coaster

10 inch Terror wrote:
ArmandTanzarian wrote:
Bingo!
+1 but Bristol Mod has a point and there will be an element of 'charging what the market can bare' as there with anything.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

I daresay there may be more paperwork and testing on a petrol tank compared to a petrol can.......EU legislation and all that
Jxmiddle
Main scooter: GP250 69 targa twin

Manufacturing costs plus the effects of supply and demand.
dutch

mick1 wrote:I daresay there may be more paperwork and testing on a petrol tank compared to a petrol can.......EU legislation and all that
for a lambretta, i doubt it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information