Temporary insurance to register import

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
lockman69

Any recommendations for a temporary policy on the frame number, just want to register a Scooter before I sell it on.

There was a company advertising this but can’t remember who it was

Cheers
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

I read a thread on here in the last couple of weeks- the indication was that insurance was no longer needed to register. I must admit I can't see any logic in this but the poster was adamant. Worth checking out?

http://scooterotica.org/forum/viewtopic ... 43#p242143

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
shocky

We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Daggs

If you read the link provided by 'shocky'. You will see imported vehicles need insurance cover in order to complete the registration process.
I've always had to buy a full year policy to do this.......
essexgp
Main scooter: Indian Gp200 Indian Gp Cutdown

Same here both times I have registered scooters and most times once covered on the frame number I was told I only had two weeks to get it done
Daggs

Absolutely, the last time I went through the process I had my applications rejected ( due to the new rules Re. Dating letters, which I knew nothing about !!!! )
It took over four weeks to get it sorted out and my insurer was becoming concerned. It seems they ( the insurer ) are obliged to put your details ( eg. Your reg number ) on the insurance database within two weeks of starting a policy and it is this that causes the worry.
Toot-oasc
Main scooter: Lambretta

essexgp wrote:Same here both times I have registered scooters and most times once covered on the frame number I was told I only had two weeks to get it done
This must depend on individual insurance companies, as I've had imports insured on frame number only for years on my policy with FJ. There's never any issues at renewal, and I declared that these scooters have been bought with full restoration in mind, in the future, in the meantime they won't be ridden and are safely locked up in my garage.
RobD

If you read the link posted by Shocky you'll see that it says insurance is required if registering to an address in Northern Ireland. You no longer need insurance elsewhere, I registered a lambretta last month and so did a mate. Neither were insured...
Daggs

Well I don't understand that. If you read 'shocky' link properly. It goes on to a heading 'imports' In which it clearly states Insurance is required.
blackstock gooner
Main scooter: Sheep in wolves clothing.

Daggs wrote:Absolutely, the last time I went through the process I had my applications rejected ( due to the new rules Re. Dating letters, which I knew nothing about !!!! )
It took over four weeks to get it sorted out and my insurer was becoming concerned. It seems they ( the insurer ) are obliged to put your details ( eg. Your reg number ) on the insurance database within two weeks of starting a policy and it is this that causes the worry.
What was the reason for rejecting the dating letter? I'm also about to register an import & I sorted the Nova number out, but only have a copy of the dating letter from a previous owner (who never registered it with DVLA), will it get rejected?

Ta,

Ben
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information