BSG corse 305cc/ casa lambretta / rimini

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
User avatar
Yanker
registered user
Posts: 705
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:56 pm
Contact:

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:04 am

Knowledge wrote: I suspect the difference between an Li150 and Li125 barrels in less than 2kg (4.4lbs), though the difference betwen an iron barrel and an ali barrel might be closer to 2kg, so I kind acknowledge your point. However, having more weight forward of the engine bolt (pivot) is a good idea as it counters the weight behind the pivot.
Thanks for the tech 'refresher ref the unsprung weight Martin. The majority of any additional seems to be forward of the pivot :mounts +casing mouth area. The remainder lools original cast shape.The majority of the crank behind the fulcrum though. Wont the centrafugal effect of the crank make things generally more stable in the vibrations and suspension osscilation departments however?



Image

User avatar
rosscla
registered user
Posts: 5840
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:50 pm
Main scooter: Lambretta
Location: Lanarkshire
Contact:

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:41 am

Does the crank have a different means to fix the fly wheel?

I don't think I've seen that mentioned anywhere before.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."

User avatar
Knowledge
Dealer
Posts: 1116
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:49 am
ebay user ID: knowledge62
Main scooter: GP
Location: Ipswich
Contact:

Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:03 am

The crank is secured with a bolt, rather than a nut. I assume it is still a left hand thread.

The crank is so heavy, it might not need a flywheel at all...... :D ;) ;)
Martin

User avatar
Knowledge
Dealer
Posts: 1116
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:49 am
ebay user ID: knowledge62
Main scooter: GP
Location: Ipswich
Contact:

Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:10 am

Yanker wrote: Wont the centrafugal effect of the crank make things generally more stable in the vibrations and suspension osscilation departments however?
Vibration is an indication of the a state of imbalance in the reciprocal forces exerted by the crank during rotation. You can built a crank bigger, but it doesn't make it more balanced without doing the hard work of balancing the damn thing.

I am afraid it will have not effect on the ability of the engine to be suspended better. Sorry.

(It is a very well built crank, but I haven't felt it rotate)
Martin

User avatar
rosscla
registered user
Posts: 5840
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:50 pm
Main scooter: Lambretta
Location: Lanarkshire
Contact:

Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:22 am

Knowledge wrote:The crank is secured with a bolt, rather than a nut. I assume it is still a left hand thread.
Assuming that's on the principle of more thread contact = more secure?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."

User avatar
drunkmunkey6969
Moderator
Posts: 4258
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:42 pm
ebay user ID: sc00terotica
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP
Location: North Yorkshire
Contact:

Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:47 am

warts wrote:So were are they made new now? Would any of the even the last made get on the road? How would they comply with C&U? Safety, Emissions, Recyclability, the list goes on. How, in so many ways, they are obsolete. Except fun.
This is not a condemnation, but if you think they are even half way to modern technology....
Perhaps you misunderstood "obsolete". A horse is obsolete as a means of transport, but that doesn't stop thousands of the things being used - they are even making new ones!
Now, popular, there is a different thing. Among us lot, certainly.
Although I remember when there were loads more of them around, every weekend, in every town and city, buzzing round, up and down the land, annoying everyone else.
Maybe you were there too? 1965 and on?
I got as far as 'were' and lost interest.

warts
registered user
Posts: 6995
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:28 am
Main scooter: honda
Location: Fenland
Contact:

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:07 pm

And yet you bother to post....

User avatar
hungdog
registered user
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:57 pm
Contact:

Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:50 pm

Nice write up in this months Scootering...

User avatar
DigDug
registered user
Posts: 1153
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 1:00 pm
Main scooter: Lambretta
Location: Stroud
Contact:

Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:50 pm

warts wrote:So were are they made new now? Would any of the even the last made get on the road? How would they comply with C&U? Safety, Emissions, Recyclability, the list goes on. How, in so many ways, they are obsolete. Except fun.
This is not a condemnation, but if you think they are even half way to modern technology....
Perhaps you misunderstood "obsolete". A horse is obsolete as a means of transport, but that doesn't stop thousands of the things being used - they are even making new ones!
Now, popular, there is a different thing. Among us lot, certainly.
Although I remember when there were loads more of them around, every weekend, in every town and city, buzzing round, up and down the land, annoying everyone else.
Maybe you were there too? 1965 and on?
Obsolete actually means "not in use any more, having been replaced by something newer and better or more fashionable"

Therefore neither horses or Lambretta's are obsolete.....
Did you have to do that?

Adam_Winstone
registered user
Posts: 1758
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:54 pm
Main scooter: Lambretta GP
Contact:

Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:45 pm

I can't imagine being able to afford this or a Targa Twin, both of which are on my Christmas dream list, however, I love the fact that someone IS putting in the time and money to make it happen for those than can. The power and performance seems like a dream come true, especially as it seems to be well thought through and reliability seems to have been considered from the get go, with proven weak spots of high power Lambretta motors being addressed, especially the crank as welding webs really is a Mickey Mouse bodge imposed by the fact that the original design was never intended to take the sort of power that many 'off the shelf' kits now produce.

A new casing and crank gives us a decent way of resolving the crank weak-spot of the original design, which both Tinos and this motor offer. This motor goes to the next level and takes the opportunity to look beyond simply fitting the kits already out there and to use the beefed up bottom end to fit an even bigger and better top end.

I'm sure that there were those that loved the shaft driven Lambrettas that had proven themselves in Lambretta's early years and didn't like the idea of chain drive transmission, yet progress saw this keep developing through to bigger 200 casings, then evaluation of the factory twin, the introduction of electronic ignition, etc. Throw in the aftermarket development of tuning kits, the TS1 etc., and we've come one heck of a long way from the shaft drive motors that many loved (some still do).

I can't imagine buying many top-end Lambretta parts and certainly can't imagine buying some models at today's prices but I'm thrilled for those that can (lucky buggers!). This motor looks like it will be a great toy for those that can afford it.

Adam

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests