BSG corse 305cc/ casa lambretta / rimini

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
Spanish Fly
registered user
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:23 pm
Main scooter: P200e
Contact:

Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:43 pm

psychedelicropcircle wrote:Image
More swarf than finished article! :shock:

SF

davet
registered user
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:28 pm
Contact:

Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:22 pm

Ok so it went mysteriously quiet when questions were asked about whether how many of the five speed gearboxes broke just by being kicked over. With the new (fantastic looking engine and kit) will a heavier crank, longer stroke and heavier piston with higher compression ratio affect the ability of the newer gearboxes to withstand a size eleven kicking them over?

Toot-oasc
registered user
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:20 pm
ebay user ID: toot-oasc
Main scooter: Lambretta
Contact:

Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:50 am

davet wrote:Ok so it went mysteriously quiet when questions were asked about whether how many of the five speed gearboxes broke just by being kicked over. With the new (fantastic looking engine and kit) will a heavier crank, longer stroke and heavier piston with higher compression ratio affect the ability of the newer gearboxes to withstand a size eleven kicking them over?
While trying not to drift off thread, I've ridden a cyclone gearbox hard since fitting it earlier this year. From one end of this country to the other (literally), to Davos and back for the Euro Lambretta, and various other events including over the water, I also know many of the LCGB BSM winners this year have 5 speed gearboxes fitted all year - so given there was 26 events, their riding mileages would be up towards the 10,000's on 5 speeds.

How many do I know have had problems with their gearboxes?? Not a single one of them.

With the enhanced cyclone gearbox now available, (I understand made completely from the same material used in F1 gearboxes), I would anticipate that Rimini would be recommending these are fitted to their high HP engines.

Breaking teeth off gearboxes suggests more to me about either the riding style of the owner, or the build quality of the engine.

dutch
registered user
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:10 pm
Contact:

Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:03 am

I also have a cyclone 5 speed gearbox fitted in a rt 225 and had no problems and a friend of mine also has same set up and has done 2 euros (france and davos ) amongst other uk rallies and had no problems, i think as they were new, anyone who had a problem we would here about but its not news if anyone has a problem with a standard gearbox.

User avatar
DigDug
registered user
Posts: 1153
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 1:00 pm
Main scooter: Lambretta
Location: Stroud
Contact:

Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:36 am

ArmandTanzarian wrote:While I admire the engineering, the cost of a complete engine that you could bolt into a scoot and ride would probably be at least as much as a good Italian GP200 or SX200 and in five years time when something goes wrong, would you be able to get any spare parts? I've just done a quick search for a Targa Twin engine. You don't seem to be able to buy them any more and I suspect that this will disappear just as quickly.

One for the lottery winners among us I fear.
The Targa still appears to be available via CamLam?
Did you have to do that?

warts
registered user
Posts: 7139
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:28 am
Main scooter: honda
Location: Fenland
Contact:

Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:15 pm

What is really amazing is that so many people are still putting money where their mouths are and developing new parts for obsolete shopping trolleys.

User avatar
ArmandTanzarian
registered user
Posts: 1776
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:26 pm
ebay user ID: armand-tanzarian
Location: Kent
Contact:

Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:32 pm

DigDug wrote:
ArmandTanzarian wrote:While I admire the engineering, the cost of a complete engine that you could bolt into a scoot and ride would probably be at least as much as a good Italian GP200 or SX200 and in five years time when something goes wrong, would you be able to get any spare parts? I've just done a quick search for a Targa Twin engine. You don't seem to be able to buy them any more and I suspect that this will disappear just as quickly.

One for the lottery winners among us I fear.
The Targa still appears to be available via CamLam?
Zero stock and no delivery date when I looked.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.

User avatar
jonashford
registered user
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:47 pm
Main scooter: Lambretta SX RB235
Location: GRIMSBY
Contact:

Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:54 pm

warts wrote:What is really amazing is that so many people are still putting money where their mouths are and developing new parts for obsolete shopping trolleys.
"Obsolete"??? Id say theyre as popular now as ever

warts
registered user
Posts: 7139
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:28 am
Main scooter: honda
Location: Fenland
Contact:

Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:01 pm

So were are they made new now? Would any of the even the last made get on the road? How would they comply with C&U? Safety, Emissions, Recyclability, the list goes on. How, in so many ways, they are obsolete. Except fun.
This is not a condemnation, but if you think they are even half way to modern technology....
Perhaps you misunderstood "obsolete". A horse is obsolete as a means of transport, but that doesn't stop thousands of the things being used - they are even making new ones!
Now, popular, there is a different thing. Among us lot, certainly.
Although I remember when there were loads more of them around, every weekend, in every town and city, buzzing round, up and down the land, annoying everyone else.
Maybe you were there too? 1965 and on?

User avatar
Yanker
registered user
Posts: 705
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:56 pm
Contact:

Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:47 pm

warts wrote:So were are they made new now?
China and in the near future the UK. They are more 'niche' market, and not really a threat to the Piaggio/Vespa range IMHO.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest