BSG corse 305cc/ casa lambretta / rimini

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
warts
Main scooter: honda

Just got to love that billet.
As there is no inlet visible on the barrel and "something" between the mounting ears, does it have a case reed induction?

The GPOne people, who have both a small and large frame billet engine, used a Simonini barrel from a paraglider engine. You would like to think reliability is high on the list of design priorities if you are using it strapped to your back a few thousand feet above terra firma.
There is one in particular, the Mini 3 at 72.8x65 giving 270cc, which produces 34crankhp as standard, and a nice fat torque curve.
http://www.simonini-flying.com/images/grafic_mini3.gif
That could be a good starting point if the full monty 50hp beast seems a bit savage.
ArmandTanzarian

warts wrote: As there is no inlet visible on the barrel and "something" between the mounting ears, does it have a case reed induction?
Certainly looks like it.

They must have thought of this but if the inlet manifold is between the mounting lugs, won't it get in the way of the engine bolt?
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
JETEX

If the engine is a lot heavier than standard, then surely you would have to reinforce the tube on the frame that carries the engine bolt to stop it breaking away ? Even more so because of the extremes of acceleration and torque that this engine produces ?
psychedelicropcircle
Main scooter: Series 1 li150 1958

This looks like the inlet between the lugs, pal of mine was sending me up photos from brid...the big tease
shamrockexpress

JETEX wrote:If the engine is a lot heavier than standard, then surely you would have to reinforce the tube on the frame that carries the engine bolt to stop it breaking away ? Even more so because of the extremes of acceleration and torque that this engine produces ?
GOOD POINT!!!!!!!!!

NEXT UP , has to be a reinforced frame and if that's as expensive as the engine scooters are soon going to cost 20k :o :o
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

In that case, don't fit the 52bhp barrel and crank, fit a 250 RB or Rapido.

Simples
Martin
Knowledge
Dealer

ArmandTanzarian wrote:They must have thought of this but if the inlet manifold is between the mounting lugs, won't it get in the way of the engine bolt?
It is possible to fit a manifold to site the carb above the gear change cables, or out the flywheel side. I've done this with a CR500 reed mounted between the engine mount lugs.
Martin
Yanker

Knowledge wrote: The casings, which are much heavier than standard,
How, where, why, significantly? I doubt there is anything much like more than 2KG over standard =
the difference in weight between a standard Li125 and Li150 barrel.........?
ArmandTanzarian

While I admire the engineering, the cost of a complete engine that you could bolt into a scoot and ride would probably be at least as much as a good Italian GP200 or SX200 and in five years time when something goes wrong, would you be able to get any spare parts? I've just done a quick search for a Targa Twin engine. You don't seem to be able to buy them any more and I suspect that this will disappear just as quickly.

One for the lottery winners among us I fear.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
Knowledge
Dealer

Yanker wrote:
Knowledge wrote: The casings, which are much heavier than standard,
How, where, why, significantly? I doubt there is anything much like more than 2KG over standard =
the difference in weight between a standard Li125 and Li150 barrel.........?
Yanker,

I didn't weigh the casing so I don't know the difference between a standard casing and the BSG item, but it was noticeable. I did pick it up with one hand, then realised I would be better to use two hands. To this, you have to add the weight of the heavier crank (if used) and all this adds to the unsprung weight.

I suspect the difference between an Li150 and Li125 barrels in less than 2kg (4.4lbs), though the difference betwen an iron barrel and an ali barrel might be closer to 2kg, so I kind acknowledge your point. However, having more weight forward of the engine bolt (pivot) is a good idea as it counters the weight behind the pivot.
Martin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information