First scoot (Lambretta) which model is best for a newb?

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
britcay
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150 S3

Hi there am new to scooters and looking for my first.

It's going to be a Lammy, but I'm wondering what my best options are. Might look at a project (to get to know them) but not a total resto or a runner Up to £2.5k maybe 3

First off 125 or 150? I've not passed my bike test yet and wondering if pottering about on CBT would help me or hang on for a 150? What's the actual difference (seem to be more 150's about) Must be Italian

Li series 3 125 is what I originally thought. Fairly easy to find, parts ok and a bit more refined than earlier models.

J series cento or starstream - what about the small frames? They're quite a bit cheaper and may be good to learn on but are parts harder to come by and I've heard they vibrate a bit. Harder to sell on, if I want to upgrade?

Those are just my novice thoughts having read a bit. What do you guys think?

Cheers, Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Daggs

If you wish to be 'legal' having not passed a test, you are restricted to no more than 125cc.
I would recommend a series 3 Li125 that has been restored at some time in it's life. But not in 'concourse' condition. There are lots around.
Pricing from a low of £1500ish to a high of £2500ish.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

+1

but be very aware of bikes advertised as, say "200cc but registered as a 125"

a definite no-no regards insurance.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
dave411
Main scooter: Li 125

I was in the same situation as you before I bought mine.Havent passed my bike test etc etc,so I bought an Li 125.I love it.But it was a bit slow,more so on hills,and we plenty of those in Wales.So,I decided to fit a 150 cylinder,head and 42 mm exhaust.Changed the jets in the carb to 150 ones,job done,only thing is,Its now ilegal :o :o
Your choice.
britcay
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150 S3

Thanks Chris I did wonder what the proper legal aspect of that was.

I want something as original as possible, so will avoid things like that.

Also see a LOT of projects that are "100% Italian easy project" but aren't registered and only have Nova docs. Am I right in thinking if it's so easy to finish & MOT / register then why didn't they do this? Is state of the scoot dubious (I've reg a few old VWs in the past which is a fairly straightforward process)

Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

An early Indian scooter circa '79 is as good as an Italian one and much cheaper...
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

Nothing is straight forward when it comes to Lambrettas .... :lol:
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

It also depends how you're going to use the scooter. Tootling round town on a standard 125 will be fine but trying to go any distance will be slow, very slow !!

It's when other scooters are flying past you that you'll wish you'd have passed your test and got a "kitted" scooter.

Personally i'd get my test passed and go for a 200cc (not much difference in price but a helluva difference in performance
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

Buy an LI 125 that has been pre-loved. Don't start with a project if you don't know your way around one. Trust me, you will be on a fairly fast learning curve just owning a Lambretta and keeping it running.
Speed wise, do NOT expect much more than 45mph despite claims from others. Get your full licence asap because although we are very tolerant and understanding on our ride - outs always promising to "go as fast as the slowest scooter", the novelty and patience tend to wane on the homeward journey; if you get my drift.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

personally I wouldn't go for a project or a bike that hasn't been registered at this stage.

There ARE bargains about which are already on the road being taxed MOT'd Registered etc- can save you a lot of time and grief. £3000 will get you a bike thats certainly half tidy and legal.

Main thing is DO NOT buy the first bike you see, and take someone with you that does know something about Lambrettas- if you see anything this way you are interested in please give me a shout and I'll be happy to come along as an independent person. PM me for my mobile number if you want.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information