Euro tour tips

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

Is there a decent thread on here about touring Europe?
I'm in Devon, but the Brittany ferry is a ballache to book and expensive, so I'm thinking of Eurotunnel or one of the Portsmouth ferries.

Aiming for a Euro rally or Italy.

Any tips or routes most welcome
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

In my opinion, not booking ahead makes it more enjoyable. If you have to do, say, 300 miles a day that can be stressful if there’s a delay.

If the countries I have been through, best are Netherlands and Germany. Great roads and good signposting. Riding back into Rotterdam ferry port on a standard engine is scary.

Luxembourg and Switzerland, again, no issues. Well the only issue I had in Switzerland was altitude related and it’s effect on carburetion.

Belgium, well, they seem to be intolerant to scooters on their roads.

France, make sure you look at a proper contour map of the country as it’s proper mountainous in places.

Italy, mad drivers. Road signs aren’t the best. You seem to be able to undertake on the hard shoulders of autostradas but, be careful, there is all sorts of debris there. I suspect it may be illegal but everyone seemed to do it which was just as well. Keeping moving on temperatures of 30 degrees is recommended.

I hope that helps.

I am on a Portsmount to Caen ferry next year, pandemic willing. That is Brittany Ferries.
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

Plymouth lad meself here and done Pompey to St Malo a few times- now, with an overnight sailing arriving around 8AM. You can sleep in the so-called reclining chairs to save money, but they are not comfortable and you end up with some fat fecker with sleep apnia snoring away all night (from personal experience), so cabin recommended to arrive fresh. Quick ride into the nice part of port area for a brekkie and then off on your route. Always stay with your scoot whilst its being secured as they can be a bit kack handed and make sure they use one of their padded cushions to prevent scratches and they tie down in the right place. You'll likely be one of the first off in the morning before the cars and lorries, etc. Haven't gone further than around Brittany, but very nice and good empty roads if you avoid dual carriageways. Return is best from Caen (Ousterheim) as its a quicker journey back to Pompey (around 8AM sail and back in Portsmouth for late afternoon with time to get a fair way home before dark. It can be cold and misty in the early mornings so have some waterproofs. Avoid dual carriageways in the early mornings as they can be a nightmare with HGVs. Are you travelling solo? If not, spread tools and spares between yourselves to lighten the load and storage. No point in everyone taking a spare stator, etc. You'll get plenty of waves and interest on your route from the French old boys.
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
nick b
Main scooter: gp200and rt195

I don't know if this is relevant but I would massively recommend Guadalajara Scooter run Spain , I have done all the biggies in England but this one is unreal including accommodation police stopping traffic to let us go to the nights out it is bang on it give it a go ,it is run by Javi a top man with hi wife Esher has an advert in stickys book give it a try email him he speaks English they are great people ,we will be there April 28 next year vivid permitting
nick b
Main scooter: gp200and rt195

Sorry covid permitting
Northener
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

Best advice i can give to all of you is......"try waking up", from the above it is self evident not one of you has a clue what is playing out right now.....you'll have your memories but never again will you have your freedoms.

....unless of course you take my initial advice.....covid, pandemic ffs wake up!

Digital currency, digital ID, cashless society & an attached social credit system just like China, every aspect of your lives will be dictated to & your money will be controlled by the state....yeah just another conspiracy theory, like the vaccine passports were.....i really give up....
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

Thanks. Waking up first is definitely a good tip.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information