One for Barry@Bikesure

Who do YOU insure your scooter with, give recommendations and opinions...
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

This is a scenario:

Someone purchased then insured a scooter, say a GP200.

The scooter is then involved in a crash and the scooter is found to have 225 kit fitted.

Would the insurers pay or would they invalidate the insurance ?

The owner would point out that he was under the impression it was a 200 and how was he to know it had been modified. Visually (with cowlings fitted) there would be no difference and it would need a top end strip down to check the cc.

More scenarios:

Different carb (larger) would this prevent a claim ?

Different exhaust would this prevent a claim ?

Would a mild re-bore (198cc to 202cc) need to be notified ?

Changing traditional light bulbs for LED ?

Changing from split rims to tubeless ?

I know it can be a grey area but ( for insurance purposes) where does "modification" start ?
Barry@Bikesure

It depends on the company but a rebore is a modification.

A modification is classed as anything that wouldn't be standard on the bike as purchased out of the factory.

Whether it would invalidate any claim depends on the insurance company and their documentation will state that. But usually your policy would be null and void.

The onus is always on the owner of the vehicle and the policyholder to ensure any information is correct before setting up any insurance.

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks

Barry
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

I always declare everything that way no comebacks should I have to make a claim. Usually modifications don't really alter the premium unless it is a special build ie a one off.
dave-g
Main scooter: Vespa P2

I don't know anyone that owns a scooter "as it left the factory"
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

This is just a way of the insurance companies finding any excuse not to pay out IMO . :twisted:
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

cgt75b wrote:This is just a way of the insurance companies finding any excuse not to pay out IMO . :twisted:
of course it is!

If the Ins Coy has a large 3rd party claim to settle, then it will find any excuse not to pay. If you haven't declared ALL modifications, then your proposal is Null and Void. Which means your policy is null and void.

As I understand it, in those circumstances, the Ins Coy WILL Pay out for 3rd party damages, but WILL claim against you and your assetts, for reimbursement.
Scootering since 1968.
Herman
Main scooter: GP200

To be honest, I don't see why insurance companies could be criticised for not paying out on a modified scooter if they had not been notified of the changes.
If I worked for an insurance company and had set a premium for a Li 125 which would do about 40 mph and then found out that it had a modified engine, carb, pip etc and would do 80mph then I wouldn't pay out either. Its all together a different bike and had I known, Id have increased the premium to reflect the upgrade.
I guess that there will always be exceptions but If you are straight with the insurance company then I reckon they're generally straight with you.
I'm not sure how much premiums would increase if the insurance company would be notified but assume as there are plenty of companies that have experience of scooters, there wouldn't be too much difficulty in arranging cover for a modified scooter. If they are notified of any significant (or even insignificant) changes and even provided with photographs of the scooter, surely it prevents any possible problems.
To save a couple of quid on insurance when there's probably been a grand spent on an engine seems nonsensical, Its just storing up a heap of trouble if the s**t ever hit the fan.
Autobahn
Barry@Bikesure

Herman, completely agree with you (although I'm biased).

People seem to forget that insurance is a business. At the end of the day, we give clients plenty of opportunity to make sure their information is correct and if it isn't, why should any insurance company pay out if they have deliberately non disclosed?

If you have NCB, the difference in prices is normally relatively small anyway so for a couple of quid, it's really not worth the hassle.
dave-g
Main scooter: Vespa P2

In my experience its not a couple of quid Barry.. I was quoted an extra £70 because I had a respray on my P200, because it was a non standard colour (I did it myself with rattle cans)
Barry@Bikesure

dave-g wrote:In my experience its not a couple of quid Barry.. I was quoted an extra £70 because I had a respray on my P200, because it was a non standard colour (I did it myself with rattle cans)
Okay Dave well that wouldn't actually make any difference with our insurance companies.

Sometimes when you do the quotes online then it can make a difference as some companies require you to call up to set up insurance with modifications.

I hope that helps for future reference.

Barry
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information