Scooter Shootout Elvington

BSSO race info, reviews, plus rider and scooter tech info.
Speed Demon
Dealer

Richard, can you help me out please. Apparently there was a bit of a kerfuffle afterwards about people with their scooters entered in the wrong classes.

Can you tell me where someone might find published rules setting out the class specifications please?
Get to SULK
Ken Tucky

Hello Sticky,
Re this one, the best I can do is direct you to the Straightliners Events website.
You will see 'X Race' and 'Scooter Shootout' as titles, however if you click into rules in the X Race section you will see that it relates to bikes.
If you click into Scooter Shootout you will see a class structure, but no info as to what constitutes the detailed requirements other than the MOT/SORN stuff.

Pete Newbold's 100mphscooters rules were superseded by what Harry Barlow tabled at last February's Straightliners AGM, unfortunately Autos were not featured in his offering.

I am not sure or aware now where all of the definitions are held, and to be fair to Trevor Duckworth, its up to the Scooter fraternity to ensure that the rules are what they want - Straightliners promotes/runs the event, obtains the permits etc and makes sure that the machines are safe and comply with applicable noise regs - etc

For my own 'protection' on Sunday I entered 'Top Scooters - Race Scooters'.

At ordinary Straightliners meetings this classes' full title is 'Geared Top Scooters - Race Scooters Over 210cc'

So your next route to goal is probably Harry?

That's about the best I can do.

Richard
Speed Demon
Dealer

Thanks Richard.

I do know that Harry did some regs but if they are published only in his sock drawer then it's not really a surprise that people ended up entering the wrong classes, and therefore it's also a bit strong for others to be labelling people 'cheats' for doing so.

Oh well...
Get to SULK
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

I have a copy of the rules and they are not much different from what has been used for the past 4 years in both 100mphscooters and straightliners , the problem is " street class" . it was agreed at the agms over the past few years by the scooter sprinters etc present that this class should only include full bodied road going lambrettas and vespas , eg no cutdowns what so ever as this would give an aero dynamic and weight advantage. for those who wanted to take modifying full bodied scooters a bit further the " pro-street" class was introduced, when I get change il upload the rules.
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
eden
Dealer

From what I have heard over the week there were quite a few of the scooters entered into the "street class" that had all sorts of breakages while sprinting.. this got me thinking that if these engines cant handle a few seconds down the strip how can they be considered "street" scooters? Do the owners ever ride them on the "street" and of the ones that do, do they have to ride well within their limits just to prevent things breaking? Also how many of the "street" class bikes are in "street" setup? Also I would be interested to hear how many of the scooters entered into the "street class" last weekend travelled there under their own power or did all of the "street" bikes get there in the back of vans?
Speed Demon
Dealer

You'll never get rules that suit everyone's scooters, but certainly a bit better publicity of the regs wouldn't hurt.
Get to SULK
eden
Dealer

cast iron ridden class would be nice ;p
Yanker

What is wrong with the BSSO format being applied to these events, with 4 extended classes to cover cc increase for full body (be they MOT'd or not)?
Darrell Taylor
Dealer
Main scooter: LAMBRETTA

heres the 2013 rules ,ill try to dig out the 2014 updates

the first and most basic rule for street class is original silhouette (full bodied)

All events are run under ACU permits

STRAIGHTLINERS X RACE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP
GEARED SCOOTER CLASSES

CLASS 1 STREET LAMBRETA UP TO 210CC

CLASS 2 SUPERSTREET LAMBRETA OVER 210CC MAX 260CC

CLASS 3 STREET VESPA UP TO 190CC

CLASS 4 SUPERSTREET VESPA OVER 190CC MAX 260CC

CLASS 5 PRO STREET GEARED SCOOTERS UNLIMITED CC

CLASS 6 COMPETITION RACE SCOOTERS UP TO 210CC

CLASS 7 TOP SCOOTER RACE SCOOTERS ABOVE 210CC

CLASS 8 SPECIAL SCOOTERS WITH GEARED MOTORCYCLE ENGINES

RULES FOR ALL CLASSES

Introduction

All street scooters including Pro Street are silhouette classes, meaning the original outline look or silhouette must be like the manufacturers design.

All Bodywork has to be the original shape. fibreglass or carbon fibre replacements may be used to replace steel original bodywork and panels .

The original frame must be used.

Wheel base must be original length. With the exception of Pro Street Class

The frame loop must be original steel and as per original shape and size.

Air scoops may be fitted to panels, holes may be cut to allow the carburettor or airfilter to protrude beyond the body work.

Side panels must be fitted

but runner boards are optional

Pro Street Class may be levered by 2'' front and rear, but must have suspension fitted,

Head stock can be like low line racer approx 4''

Tyres Must be street legal (no race tyres)

Suspension must be used but can be changed to modern up grade

Engine

The original manufacturers engine casings must be used in the same location as originally fitted

Cylinders

Must be of a type made for the engine (no motorcycle cylinders) and must retain the original manufactures stud spacing , No one off cylinders,
Cylinders can be modified , welding is allowed, but must be commercially available

Bore and Stroke
Must be declared in all street scooter classes at signing on up to 210cc for Lambretta and up to 190cc for Vespa and must be strictly below these limits
Lambretta above 210cc and Vespa above 190cc have a top limit of 260cc in the Super street class

Fan Cooling must be used in the street classes however the cylinder head my not be covered (optional) But the cylinder must be covered by a cylinder cowl .This is to allow larger cylinder heads to be used. Pro Street Scooter does not require cowlings of any kind but they me be fitted if desired. Water cooling is allowed in the Pro Street class only

The Flywheel cowling must be fitted in all Street classes. Flywheels can be of any type with a fan fitted for street classes. The pro street class do not require a fan to be fitted however ALL Street classes must have a flywheel generator as a power source for the lights, horn and brake light with switch. Internal rotor ignitions that do not generate power for lights are only eligible for the racing scooter classes

Fuel The petrol tank must be of the original size and shape and fitted as per the manufacturers original prostitution, Pro Street and competition classes may have any size fuel tank and any shape it must be fitted in a safe position, all fuel tanks must have a on of tap clearly marked

The Fuel used may be petrol or Avgas octane boosters are allowed, But Nitro methane and Propylene Oxide additives are not allowed

Exhausts Must have a silencer fitted and must comply with any track noise limits that are in place

MOT TAX AND INSURANCE for street classes are not required
But the scooter must be able to be presented for inspection with working lights horn and brake light and be able to pass an MOT after racing,,, any scooter that fails this test when called upon to come for inspection will have there times move up to the relevant racing class, Inspections will be random and carried out by a qualified person

CLASS 6 Competition Scooter
This class is for all scooters up to 210cc , Full race scooters or those built for sprinting , Group 4 Lambrettas and racing small frame Vespas drop straight into this class

CLASS 7 Top Scooter is for all scooters above 210cc but not above 260cc all Group 6 racing scooters and Sprint scooters drop into this class providing they are not above 260cc

CLASS 8 scooters in this class are specials primarily with motorcycle engines or scooters that do not fit into any of the above classes these scooters do not need to be street legal but must have silencers and might any track noise limit there my be

During the course of the season there will be an exclusive club set up this will be the 100MPH PLUS CLUB,, THERE ARE NO MEMBERS AT THE MOMENT

Membership is free and is open at the first round to any scooter rider going over 100mph on the 1/4 mile,, these riders will go into the club and get a certificate at the event stating there achievement these certificates will be numbered starting at number one

bishop
feel free to use this link to contact me on facebook and like it(if u like it)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taylor-T ... 8819767924
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information