Scooter Records Elvington 2014

BSSO race info, reviews, plus rider and scooter tech info.
bishop

Straightliners along with our new organisation the UK Timing Accociation are putting on a ACU British National Records event on the 17th 18th of May 2014 at Elvington this record event will consentrate on the Mile distance using the new speed trap format as agreed with the ACU the records will be set in each direction with the return pass to be made within 60 min

These will be new Records over this distance using the new format and as such are all there to be set and established we have put a lot of work into getting the new scooter classes accepted by the ACU, you only had one class before our efforts came to fruition, there will be classes for all types of scooters both geared and auto, we ran a records event in 2012 and literally had no takers from the scooter world, so if you are interested in Records this is the event for you

The event itself I am sure you will agree is a very large undertaking for Straightliners and the UKTA and is by no means cheep to put on we think that the entry fee will be in the region of £250 for the two days we have an option to run on Monday the 19th if we need it but we are not sure on costing's for this

I HAVE FOUND THESE CLASSES FROM THE DISCUSIONS IN 2011/12
please let me know if they are still relevant

The Scooter classes for the Records event's are

50cc 100cc 175cc 250cc and 500cc Gearbox classes
50cc 100cc 175cc 250cc and 800cc Auto classes

Proposed rules are

Except as specially authorised by the ACU, a Solo Motor scooter is a two wheeled motor vehicle on which the driver may sit on a seat and have free and open space in front of the seat for passage of their legs, with the following additional characteristics:
1. The minimum size of the space forward of the seat must be a regular or irregular trapezium with its top measuring 250mm along a line projected forward from the top of the seat parallel with a line drawn through the centres of the two road wheels and measured from the front extremity of the seat towards the steering column. Its depth vertically downwards must not be less than 250mm and its base not less than 100mm. The minimum space must be clear at all times of any obstruction of a permanent or temporary nature except where any such obstruction was fitted as manufacturer’s original equipment (e.g. Vespa 90SS).
2. It shall have been manufactured by a manufacturer recognised by the ACU and not less than one hundred machines of that type equipped with the manufacturer’s original or optional equipment must have been made and sold in the U.K. An Accountant’s Certificate may be required as proof.
3. Clutch and brake levers must be ball-ended , with a diameter no less than 19mm (3/4")
4. The cylinder must be either the manufacturers original equipment or after market kit made for the engine it is fitted to.There are no limits on tuning.the cylinder must be able to be recognised for what it was originally.
5. The position of the cylinder fixing studs should remain unaltered.
6. A scooter must have its crankcase/swing-arm constructed from one single rigid unit.

Rule 4 the recognition is minimal so water cooling etc is ok.

If any changes are needed then I have time to put them in the final regs

Regards Trevor
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

bishop wrote: we ran a records event in 2012 and literally had no takers from the scooter world, so if you are interested in Records this is the event for you
I can't see a £250 entry fee changing that.
bishop

The Point hear is that this is a full British National Records event it is run both ways on the Elvington runway and if you are the fastest in your class not only do you win, but you get a British National Record certificate as well

Think back to the 70s 80s and early 90s think Scooter Records and the name Fred Willingham pops up time and time again he was the man to beat on his Lambretta setting the bench mark in time and speed that took years to overtake

We are trying to bring back those golden times with a set of modern day classes that will open up the Record Books for all Scooters not just the one 250cc class they had when Fred was riding

The Mile events are set to be the biggest thing to hit the runways in 2014 at Elvington Sculthorpe and Woodbridge

Yes it's costly to do but all things in life that are unique are and this event is a one off annual event if you think you are the best there is then come and prove it,, if you don't then it's just pub talk,,any one wanting info on this or our other mile events just email trevor@straightliners.co.uk Trev
Darrell Taylor
Dealer
Main scooter: LAMBRETTA

hi trev i sent a previous pm but had no reply ,

i have a few customers interested in the event and a few scoots of my own that i may be able to bring to these events that are on our doorstep.

The last set of new 2013 sprinting and scooter shootout regs mainly up to 210cc lambretta and up to 260cc lambretta that harry barlow and others put a lot of work in to introduce last year dont tally too well to the records event classes as formulated in 2011/12 at 175cc and 250cc ,if all uk scooter sport eg bsso scooter racing/sprinting/scooter shootout and record events run similar classes and rules it improves the entry potential so an additional 210 class(or 211cc as bsso) and a change from 250 to 260cc as bsso and shootout would bring all in line

id like to add that at regular events like the scooter shootout very basic/simple,,, machine/class eligibility needs looking at with regards to an improved policing method so that the hard work put into forming the 2013 regs was not a waste i know its relatively self policing but lots of areas are being either abused or are unaware of the appropriate class regs and felt that rather impose this as extra work on your staff or appoint an individual it could be simplified with a machine checklist for the entrant to tick each compliance bullett point off before selecting the class entered ,unfortunately many results/trophys/achievements in 2013 are in the wrong hands which for other entry fee paying compettitors is grossly unfair ,i speak for myself on this but many others have also commented and are aware which is putting them off the sport i personally paid for 4 entries at the shootout and 2 at the half mile event and brought many visitors thru the gate many of which are my customers who also entered/have entered over the years ,with typical £2000-£6000 build costs/time and effort/travel accomadation and time off work costs as u know its an expensive hobby that people are very passionate about so its important the basic checks that cost nothing are covered to maintain integrity ,im also aware of the hard work you put in to put on these events for us all with all your own boxes ticked to make them safe and insured events for us to enter
feel free to use this link to contact me on facebook and like it(if u like it)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taylor-T ... 8819767924
Wayne Miller
Main scooter: Vespa 50 Special (Rotax Proto)

May some keen scooterists could help check the machines and ensure the scooters were in the correct class. IE take your scooter over there and get your scooter classed and signed off?
Stay tuned..............
MattsDad

I was a 'taker' Trev in 2012 as was Keith, I have mentioned this somewhere else.
Also I'm aware of the ACU issues; on the day I was the only one to take the trouble of having the ACU official remove my head and measure the cc.
Failing the ACU ever issuing anything, If Straightliners could knock me something up on Microsoft Word to frame and hang in my bedroom that would be great? :)
COCKSPEED TUNING
Darrell Taylor
Dealer

id considered that too ,asking another entrant to class check and sign it off obviously with no affiliation/getting a mate to do it
its how we did it at 50cc racing the racers not the organisers did the checks to help out at the events with up to 70 bikes in its heyday
also when rules state if a machine is found/proven to be not eligible for class it will be removed from the results, normally does the trick and class checks become easy overnight.
Darrell Taylor
Dealer

for referance and to save finding them here are the last set of rules for 2013 sprinting

All events are run under ACU permits

STRAIGHTLINERS X RACE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP
GEARED SCOOTER CLASSES

CLASS 1 STREET LAMBRETA UP TO 210CC

CLASS 2 SUPERSTREET LAMBRETA OVER 210CC MAX 260CC

CLASS 3 STREET VESPA UP TO 190CC

CLASS 4 SUPERSTREET VESPA OVER 190CC MAX 260CC

CLASS 5 PRO STREET GEARED SCOOTERS UNLIMITED CC

CLASS 6 COMPETITION RACE SCOOTERS UP TO 210CC

CLASS 7 TOP SCOOTER RACE SCOOTERS ABOVE 210CC

CLASS 8 SPECIAL SCOOTERS WITH GEARED MOTORCYCLE ENGINES

RULES FOR ALL CLASSES

Introduction

All street scooters including Pro Street are silhouette classes, meaning the original outline look or silhouette must be like the manufacturers design.

All Bodywork has to be the original shape. fibreglass or carbon fibre replacements may be used to replace steel original bodywork and panels .

The original frame must be used.

Wheel base must be original length. With the exception of Pro Street Class

The frame loop must be original steel and as per original shape and size.

Air scoops may be fitted to panels, holes may be cut to allow the carburettor or airfilter to protrude beyond the body work.

Side panels must be fitted

but runner boards are optional

Pro Street Class may be levered by 2'' front and rear, but must have suspension fitted,

Head stock can be like low line racer approx 4''

Tyres Must be street legal (no race tyres)

Suspension must be used but can be changed to modern up grade

Engine

The original manufacturers engine casings must be used in the same location as originally fitted

Cylinders

Must be of a type made for the engine (no motorcycle cylinders) and must retain the original manufactures stud spacing , No one off cylinders,
Cylinders can be modified , welding is allowed, but must be commercially available

Bore and Stroke
Must be declared in all street scooter classes at signing on up to 210cc for Lambretta and up to 190cc for Vespa and must be strictly below these limits
Lambretta above 210cc and Vespa above 190cc have a top limit of 260cc in the Super street class

Fan Cooling must be used in the street classes however the cylinder head my not be covered (optional) But the cylinder must be covered by a cylinder cowl .This is to allow larger cylinder heads to be used. Pro Street Scooter does not require cowlings of any kind but they me be fitted if desired. Water cooling is allowed in the Pro Street class only

The Flywheel cowling must be fitted in all Street classes. Flywheels can be of any type with a fan fitted for street classes. The pro street class do not require a fan to be fitted however ALL Street classes must have a flywheel generator as a power source for the lights, horn and brake light with switch. Internal rotor ignitions that do not generate power for lights are only eligible for the racing scooter classes

Fuel The petrol tank must be of the original size and shape and fitted as per the manufacturers original prostitution, Pro Street and competition classes may have any size fuel tank and any shape it must be fitted in a safe position, all fuel tanks must have a on of tap clearly marked

The Fuel used may be petrol or Avgas octane boosters are allowed, But Nitro methane and Propylene Oxide additives are not allowed

Exhausts Must have a silencer fitted and must comply with any track noise limits that are in place

MOT TAX AND INSURANCE for street classes are not required
But the scooter must be able to be presented for inspection with working lights horn and brake light and be able to pass an MOT after racing,,, any scooter that fails this test when called upon to come for inspection will have there times move up to the relevant racing class, Inspections will be random and carried out by a qualified person

CLASS 6 Competition Scooter
This class is for all scooters up to 210cc , Full race scooters or those built for sprinting , Group 4 Lambrettas and racing small frame Vespas drop straight into this class

CLASS 7 Top Scooter is for all scooters above 210cc but not above 260cc all Group 6 racing scooters and Sprint scooters drop into this class providing they are not above 260cc

CLASS 8 scooters in this class are specials primarily with motorcycle engines or scooters that do not fit into any of the above classes these scooters do not need to be street legal but must have silencers and might any track noise limit there my be

During the course of the season there will be an exclusive club set up this will be the 100MPH PLUS CLUB,, THERE ARE NO MEMBERS AT THE MOMENT

Membership is free and is open at the first round to any scooter rider going over 100mph on the 1/4 mile,, these riders will go into the club and get a certificate at the event stating there achievement these certificates will be numbered starting at number one

bishop
bishop

Darrell Taylor wrote:for referance and to save finding them here are the last set of rules for 2013 sprinting

All events are run under ACU permits

STRAIGHTLINERS X RACE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP
GEARED SCOOTER CLASSES

CLASS 1 STREET LAMBRETA UP TO 210CC

CLASS 2 SUPERSTREET LAMBRETA OVER 210CC MAX 260CC

CLASS 3 STREET VESPA UP TO 190CC

CLASS 4 SUPERSTREET VESPA OVER 190CC MAX 260CC

CLASS 5 PRO STREET GEARED SCOOTERS UNLIMITED CC

CLASS 6 COMPETITION RACE SCOOTERS UP TO 210CC

CLASS 7 TOP SCOOTER RACE SCOOTERS ABOVE 210CC

CLASS 8 SPECIAL SCOOTERS WITH GEARED MOTORCYCLE ENGINES

RULES FOR ALL CLASSES

Introduction

All street scooters including Pro Street are silhouette classes, meaning the original outline look or silhouette must be like the manufacturers design.

All Bodywork has to be the original shape. fibreglass or carbon fibre replacements may be used to replace steel original bodywork and panels .

The original frame must be used.

Wheel base must be original length. With the exception of Pro Street Class

The frame loop must be original steel and as per original shape and size.

Air scoops may be fitted to panels, holes may be cut to allow the carburettor or airfilter to protrude beyond the body work.

Side panels must be fitted

but runner boards are optional

Pro Street Class may be levered by 2'' front and rear, but must have suspension fitted,

Head stock can be like low line racer approx 4''

Tyres Must be street legal (no race tyres)

Suspension must be used but can be changed to modern up grade

Engine

The original manufacturers engine casings must be used in the same location as originally fitted

Cylinders

Must be of a type made for the engine (no motorcycle cylinders) and must retain the original manufactures stud spacing , No one off cylinders,
Cylinders can be modified , welding is allowed, but must be commercially available

Bore and Stroke
Must be declared in all street scooter classes at signing on up to 210cc for Lambretta and up to 190cc for Vespa and must be strictly below these limits
Lambretta above 210cc and Vespa above 190cc have a top limit of 260cc in the Super street class

Fan Cooling must be used in the street classes however the cylinder head my not be covered (optional) But the cylinder must be covered by a cylinder cowl .This is to allow larger cylinder heads to be used. Pro Street Scooter does not require cowlings of any kind but they me be fitted if desired. Water cooling is allowed in the Pro Street class only

The Flywheel cowling must be fitted in all Street classes. Flywheels can be of any type with a fan fitted for street classes. The pro street class do not require a fan to be fitted however ALL Street classes must have a flywheel generator as a power source for the lights, horn and brake light with switch. Internal rotor ignitions that do not generate power for lights are only eligible for the racing scooter classes

Fuel The petrol tank must be of the original size and shape and fitted as per the manufacturers original prostitution, Pro Street and competition classes may have any size fuel tank and any shape it must be fitted in a safe position, all fuel tanks must have a on of tap clearly marked

The Fuel used may be petrol or Avgas octane boosters are allowed, But Nitro methane and Propylene Oxide additives are not allowed

Exhausts Must have a silencer fitted and must comply with any track noise limits that are in place

MOT TAX AND INSURANCE for street classes are not required
But the scooter must be able to be presented for inspection with working lights horn and brake light and be able to pass an MOT after racing,,, any scooter that fails this test when called upon to come for inspection will have there times move up to the relevant racing class, Inspections will be random and carried out by a qualified person

CLASS 6 Competition Scooter
This class is for all scooters up to 210cc , Full race scooters or those built for sprinting , Group 4 Lambrettas and racing small frame Vespas drop straight into this class

CLASS 7 Top Scooter is for all scooters above 210cc but not above 260cc all Group 6 racing scooters and Sprint scooters drop into this class providing they are not above 260cc

CLASS 8 scooters in this class are specials primarily with motorcycle engines or scooters that do not fit into any of the above classes these scooters do not need to be street legal but must have silencers and might any track noise limit there my be

During the course of the season there will be an exclusive club set up this will be the 100MPH PLUS CLUB,, THERE ARE NO MEMBERS AT THE MOMENT

Membership is free and is open at the first round to any scooter rider going over 100mph on the 1/4 mile,, these riders will go into the club and get a certificate at the event stating there achievement these certificates will be numbered starting at number one

bishop
Unfortunately these rules do not apply to the Records event, Records are all about going as fast as you can see the rules at the top of the page all Record classes are capacity based,,if there was enough demand we could do what we have done with the bikes and run pure stock modified stock and super stock classes but it would seem we are some way from that at the moment ,,,,Trev
22/2

Hi

Can anyone tell me what records will be available, will there be an eith, quarter, mile, flying kilo, etc or is it just about top speed ie the fastest scooter in the classes described.

Thanks

Rich
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information