my group six build

BSSO race info, reviews, plus rider and scooter tech info.
RICSPEED

i had been going along to the bsso races for some time and as i had a frame tube in the shed set about creating my own group six scoot ,i was quite taken with the seat unit fitted to keith terrys sprinter not to mention inspiration from both guy topper and doug turners group 6 scoots i set about mocking stuff up

i had got a pit bike hub with a very nice billet disc so along with some custom links and a cnc centre piece mocked up front end, this was taken to Mallory for inspection by john woods as there was a little uncertainty regarding the wheel and use of one off links ,brought much amusement and comments such as "you forgot the rest of yer bike mate" as i wheeled it across the paddock :roll: :lol:
center disc part he was not keen on though had the fab guy done what i wanted rather than applying a bit of artistic licence i would have been ok ,i felt in the end i was over complicating the build so a scoot rs hub was used although happily the billet disc fitted this

i also made a wooden mock up which i had intended to use to form an ally tank/subframe ,
again this was shelved due to cost and again over complicating things ,by this time i had got the pipe and rearsets so the frame was dropped of at a mates so the holes in the frame could be tigged up and fuel tight as i wanted fuel in the frame and bend some 7/8 bar so i could make the seat frame

of cource waiting on other people is a pain and by the time i got the bare frame back i had seven days to get this thing up and running for the mallory test day

so with the a little help from poundland i started the paint work and set about the seat frame

after a day of crap welders ...borrowing mates welder .. mates welder breaks ..repair first welder and a lot of extreem angle grinding (plus pissed neighbours :lol: ) i had this ....

so paint hastly done and with some very late building ,wiring ,cables etc till 3am scoot was picked up on the 20th of march litteraly got it running minutes before pick up and was dropped off at rayspeeds as they had offerd to take it up with steves group 6 for the test day on the 22nd

so all that remained was to get to mallory and give it a go :D

oddly it wouldnt go when i got there ... so sticky and a few others stepped in to help and we were in buisness ... missed first session so set about fitting the semi slick tyres .. so out on second session and its off like a shot and as expected the gearing was far to low so was in top gear far too quick ... the cluch is a cnut to pull in and lever far pointing straight down in 4th ..changing down was near impossible .. so wobbled round until we were flagged off ..lever moved so that was then sorted ...had discussions with guy topper to change gearing but as i walked back to fetch scoot over session 3 was called .. so walk became run ..plulled on my boots helmet on .. and were off again .. got about 3 laps then scoot died at edwinas .. over the grass ..wait for session to end .. in my haste to get on track again i forgot the all important thing ... PUT SOME MORE PETROL IN IT !!! .. back to pits to put some juice in and over to guy to do the gears ... back out on track its like a different scoot and completed the session ok allthough i did do a quick grass track session at adwinas (went straight on .. lol ) ... got passed very close by both sticky and guy (no mercy ) ... back out again .. up the pit lane again sounding sweet .. giving it as much as i dare also tring to remind myself this engine had only ran for about 30 seconds prior to mallory .. sound sweet ( 103 db :o .. ie loud ) round gerrards (wobbeled ) on to the straight .. then dies just as though i had swiched off ..again at edwinas .. though this time im right at the exit point and i am spared a second walk of shame past the spectators ... i was though by now suffering the spine crushing effect of no seat pad and hard r1 shock combination .. it fact every inch of me aces .. do it again in a shot :)

i certainly knew then what i need to change .. seat to far back ..shock too hard ..clutch a b@5t@rd to pull ... and the bars were an issue as i had my weight too far back

bars were changed but sadly i did'nt do this years test and for now it will have to wait a while ,i do intend to have an lc motor for this soon but i need to start collecting a few more bits such as rads and mounting points made also the seat frame and speed way tank were a tempory fix and will be fabbed up in ally
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

Good write up. Keep the story coming through the year please.
Martin
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Brilliant blog Ric, thanks! Keep us updated as you go along.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
thebassmasta
Main scooter: GP TS1 240

Ric, looking good m8, what is the seat unit off?
RobD

Late Honda RS125/250 race bike
thebassmasta
Main scooter: GP TS1 240

Thanks Rob, Planning on doing a group 6 racer for the road, and always liked this kind of seat
Yanker

Great post Ricspeed

Got a 'queued' GR6 road/rep project waiting in the isles I've now got most parts for and majority of frame work done. (Hope my old corpse will be up to the punishment it will meat out on it). Got some dry building and fab to do (or farm out where it is beyond me eg. tank fabrication...crap welder syndrome!)

Interested in why you dropped the outboard sprung dampers? Less tinkering with the links for compliance, or suitability?

Cheers

(I'll try and do a thread on mine when it is properly started)
bsso78

You need your arse right where that petrol cap is and the bars need to be bolted on over the top of the forks. Bolt them on behind and it will steer too quick, in front and it will steer too slowly.
RICSPEED

Yanker wrote:Interested in why you dropped the outboard sprung dampers? Less tinkering with the links for compliance, or suitability?

as said above the fab guy i know made a wheel centre that resembled a ninja death star rather than a pepper pot style i asked for and as the centre didn't support the rim at the fixed stud it was not considerd suitable by john woods.. i didn't have time to complete in time for Mallory so used my scoot rs one
bsso78 wrote:You need your arse right where that petrol cap is .
i realized this .. again as i said above tank and subframe was just a quick fix .... sub frame/tank is to be remade at some point but the intention was to have a filler neck on the frame tube for fuel in frame

oh and i just did the bar clamps in the same position as guy /Doug etc
RICSPEED

RobD wrote:Late Honda RS125/250 race bike
i think the 250 one is bigger ... could be wrong though

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-RS125-R ... 3cd1ca4855
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information